Need Help, computer won't boot at all

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cmtishler

I recently updated my BIOS on my MSI 865PE NEO2-PFISR motherboard to version 3.A and after setting it up the comp ran fine... However I did notice that my CPU was running hot then discovered that the cpu fan was dying out, so I replaced it and after replacing it and setting the BIOS once again it now will not post. What is weird though is that if I take my Processor out and put it back in the system will post enough to goto the BIOS settings, however I cannot get it to go any further then that... Any suggestions??? in a way I am hoping that I may just need to replace the motherboard because there is a new series out anyways, but would be nice to see if I can fix the problem with this one...

My setup:

MSI 865PE NEO2-PFISR Motherboard
P4 3.4GHZ Prescot 1MB L2 Cache 800FSB
1GB RAM
160GB Maxtor S-ATA HDD
DVD/RW drive
DVD ROM Drive
3.5 Floppy
NVIDIA Ge-Force 6800GT 256MB
450W Power Supply

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

cmtishler

After it posts I get 3 beeps, also says CMOS settings wrong and prompts me to enter setup or continue to load, it will let me enter setup but will not load up after I set the settings. I may be setting the CMOS wrong, Don't know exactly how to set them according to my BIOS and Setup...

do you have the manual for the mobo to check the beep codes? if you do look and i'll search google

cmtishler

I do not have the manual here but I just looked up the error codes on MSI's website and it says for the AMI BIOS the 3 beep error code is 3 short Base 64k RAM failure Don't know what that means though

memory problem remove one stick of ram and boot. switch them up if it doesn't work the first time. also the mobo is slot specific so one stick of ram usualy has to be in a specific slot. if that doesn't work you may need to flash the biios back to the origional version. the cmos settings in bios are usually okay on default, if you have a basic set up. it always helps to remove extra components to do a minimal boot.

cmtishler

ok just removed one stick of ram, did more then last time!!! It beeps one time then goes BIOS post screen and says dram timing is to tightly so reset timing...

cmtishler

ok now it's back to not posting at all... i really wish I could figure this out

uh... it sounds like that bios flash changed the configuration for you bios. I'm not too familiar with flashing the bios. see if you can flash it back to the origional bios ver. ? can you do that with out booting the broken pc?

cmtishler

Ok I was able to revert the BIOS back to the original but it still will not post... It just keeps restarting.. I turn the power on and it starts reading the cdroms and then restarts and so on...

make sure everything is in securly, did you take the heatsink off by any chance, check your video card if its not onboard, check all your pci slots, if you removed the ram, make sure you put them all back in correctly

if that doesnt work, then something is terribly wrong with your bois

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online