1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help! Computer wont load or run startup AT ALL

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by momma2five, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momma2five

momma2five Thread Starter

My SIL has messed this up badly. I am very good at following directions and usually figuring out computer problems, but now I cant do anything. The computer boots, shows windows XP loading and then stop. No error message. No blue screen. NOTHING. Just empty dark blackness. And I am at a loss what to do. I know they have viruses on their computer and I was trying to help them get the computer fixed. Now I dont know what to do. Any help for a lost newbie?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, If the computer has a brand name and model number post that info...like HP Pavilion 5000 or Dell Latitude xxxxx

Usually this info in on the front, but also on a label on the rear of a tower type, if its a notebook, look UNDERneath..

If not a brand type, post what your operating system is, Home edition, or Pro.

Do they have any matching branded Recovery CD, or a regular Microsoft Windows XP Home or Pro CD? Or no CD?

3. momma2five

They have a Dell Dimension 2350 running windows XP home edition. We have the original recovery disk, but when placing the disk inside the drive, it does nothing. Thanks for your help!

4. Byteman

Hi, Try hitting the DELETE key on your keyboard when the computer boots up> You may see that info on your screen, you have to be quick....

If you get into the BIOS (Setup) settings, look for how to set the first boot device to your (Their) CDROM drive, then with the disc in, save and exit the BIOS the computer will restart and the disk may run.

CAUTION>>> make sure you understand what that cd can do, it can format the hard drive ((All their data files etc gone)) or, there may be another option to repair just Windows XP

Formatting and reinstalling fresh is good but do they have anything they need to save on there? Dont be too quick to decide> you can cancel or exit or restart to wait a bit....or turn the power off

If it is a hard drive dying> well base the decision on whether there is anything they really need like work accounting info, the drive may be able to be read and files rescued another way...so dont quickly format and reinstall unless they do not need anything on the drive

5. momma2five

trying that now! We'll see! Thanks!

6. Byteman

Please read my edited reply just above your last...

The cd if it is the Recovery type can put things back just like the Dell came from the factory...

If a lot of hardware has been added or changed it may not run at all.

7. momma2five

too late...LOL

But this is my young sister in laws computer mostly. Nothing important.

okay here is where it is at:

where do i install? on the FAT with only 24 mb of memory or on the partition with alot more? I can type out all the stuff on their computer if needed.

8. Byteman

9. momma2five

never mind, found the info i needed, here is hoping it works!!! Thanks so much for helping me!

10. Byteman

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/400491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice