1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Configuring Generic/ Text Only Driver for Canon C530

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr. Alan Johnson, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Alan Johnson

Mr. Alan Johnson Thread Starter

Greetings to you!

I have endeavored to expound this problem to the extremity of my capacity. I am using a Canon MultiPass C530 Printer. Due to reasons I will not explain, here, for brevity, the driver intended for use with the printer is not capable of running on Windows Xp. Through my probing, I found the existence of a generic text/ only driver included in the driver list. This driver is supposedly compatible with most printers. I set the driver up successfully, and I see the generic text/only printer in the printer list. The printer, the C530, is connected via port USB001. Now, I go to print a document in notepad, I see the printer icon appear as typical in the toolstrip (at the lower right-hand corner). It is there momentarily and then goes away. I watched closer, by actually displaying the active jobs of the printer and noticed that when I click 'Print' on any application, it appears for several seconds before disappearing from the list; it behaves almost as if it has printed successfully. Now, further probing into the properties of the printer, I discover that there are fields that are able to be filled in. Now, peripherals are not my forté, and I am rather unexperienced with the text only driver. These fields that can be filled in are under the 'Printer Commands' tab displayed when using this driver. Apparently, they are PCL commands, such as Begin Print Job and End Print Job. There are also options in the other pane for Bold selection and more. I have never used PCL and would like to know just the bare miniumum commands, if any I need to have in these fields. I may not even need to; but I have a feeling that because the begin print job commands are left blank, that may be the reason the printer is not printing. The printer opperates normally, by the way, as I know this from several weeks ago, before migrating to this driver. Anyone who has any suggestions and is willing to offer them will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers to you!

Warm Regards,

Mr. Alan Johnson

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice