1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Need help configuring NameCheap DNS to connect to S3 Bucket

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DanielThatGuy, Nov 12, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. DanielThatGuy

DanielThatGuy Thread Starter

I need someone to help me connect a static S3 site to my Namecheap DNS. I don't know how to configure the DNS properly, can't point it to the right address and I'm sick of trying to fix it.

2. britekguy

britekguy

My own website is hosted under Amazon S3, and in Namecheap's system I have 3 records in the Advanced DNS section: 2 URL redirect records and one TXT record

1. The host is @ and the URL is the full Amazon S3 address for the index page of my website there.

2. The host is www and the URL is also the full Amazon S3 address for the index page of my website there.

Both of the above use the masked setting so that the end user continues to see my website name as the URL rather than the full Amazon S3 address, which would present if unmasked.

The TXT record is not something I recall having entered and is noted as being Automatic.

Be absolutely certain that you have configured your Amazon bucket(s) for public access for reading. One of the steps that many people forget is configuring the S3 bucket such that it is accessible on the Amazon end for use as a website. I figured out how to do this way back when by looking at Amazon's Help, and one had to do several steps manually. Since then I believe they've introduced a "clickable option" that allows the owner of the bucket to designate it as in use for website hosting. But do check their Help with regard to what permissions you must set in order for the world at large to be able to see your content.

3. DanielThatGuy

DanielThatGuy Thread Starter

Thank you for your great reply. I ended up getting in touch with NameCheap Support and they sent me the following which I followed and it worked.

Please follow these steps to connect your domain name to the hosting service:

- having logged into Namecheap account, go to your Domain List -> click 'Manage' next to the domain -> 'Advanced DNS' tab -> 'Host Records' section
    - then click on 'Add New Record' and create the following records:

Type: ALIAS Record | Host: @ | Value: www.mindkink.net.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com | TTL: Automatic

Type: ALIAS Record | Host: www | Value: mindkink.net.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com | TTL: Automatic

To save the changes, just click on the checkmark on the right. Please keep in mind that the records may require up to 30 minutes to get accepted globally.

After that please remove all other records for your domain name.

4. britekguy

britekguy

You're quite welcome. Glad you have this solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice