1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Configuring Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nullkill, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nullkill

nullkill Thread Starter

Ok.. so here is the situation...

I get Wireless internet from my service provider, (they send out a wireless signal and my computer picks up on it and uses it with its WAN card).

What I want to do is use my wireless router to get the signal, and then send the internet via LAN cable to my 2 PC's. Does anyone have any idea of how I go about doing this? And what is the best way to set up the Wireless Router???

(Here is an overview of what I Wish to accomplish:)

Wireless Internet Signal
    .{
    ..{ (wireless signal)
    (WIRELESS ROUTER)
    |
    | LAN HARD WIRE
    .|________pc2
    .|_________pc 1

2. nomaan

nomaan

i don't see that happening with a regular router. i mean, the antenna are for outputting the wireless signal, not catching it.

3. nullkill

nullkill Thread Starter

The router is a belkin 54 b/g. I'm 100 % sure I can use it to pick up a signal, as it has Access Point and Bridge Connection Mode.

I messed with it some last night, and I set it up to use a static IP (the one which I think Is associated with my ISP) and then set the gateway, subnet mask, and DNS to my ISP's settings. It then off and on said that it was connected to the internet, but I could never actually do anything online.

Any suggestions?

4. coulterp

coulterp

I too don't seen that happening with a regular SOHO router.
    I'm pretty sure you can't do it with a Belkin. The access point means it acts as an access point to your LAN PCs. But I'll be interested to see if I'm wrong.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

if you have a wireless signal coming in all computers should be able to acquire it by a wireless nic/pcmcia card.

why do you want to hardwire to the other computers thru a router?

are you in an apartment/condo/office environment?

i take a cable signal into a hard wired router and run three computers with rj-45 cables and run the laptop wireless thru a wireless access point which is using the rj-45 cable from the router then the signal is wireless to the laptop. :cool:

6. nullkill

nullkill Thread Starter

I am in an apartment where we recieve free wireless internet. THey refuse to hardwire LAN cables anywhere, so wireless is necessary to pick up the net. True, I could buy wireless cards for my xbox and desktop (The two components other than my laptop i want to hook up to the interenet), but i already have a nice wireless router that can for sure pick up wireless connections (Got it to semi work), so i'd rather use that if i can.

I got my wireless router to say it had internet by manually setting the DHCP, Setting the IP as static, and configuring the gateway and subnet mask to the same my wireless laptop said i was getting. But even though my router said off and on that it was connected to the net, i couldn't get my desktop to recognize the internet.

Is there anyway to send a LAN cable to the routers WAN/INTERNET input and then send it to my computers that way? I figure this might work since my laptop has to LAN cards (one LAN and the other Wireless).

ANy ideas?

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

most configs will have the rj-45 cable from the modem into the wan/internet port then out to the computers but when you get the signal wireless.

i setup my hardwired router with the install cd and it took about 5 min and all the computers are configured to obtain the ip address automatically. 3 are hardwired and the laptop runs thru a wireless access point on a rj-45 cable from the router. :cool:

8. coulterp

coulterp

In the wireless routers you are referring to the wireless LAN and wired LAN are on the same side of the router, and the internet is on the other side, the WAN side. These routers are designed, as has already been described by others in the thread, to take a WAN feed from a DSL/cable modem and distribute DHCP-generated NAT'ed IP addresses to wired and wireless on the LAN side.

Typically you'd be looking at needing something like a wireless Ethernet bridge to take wireless input and sending out to a wired LAN. But you need to be taking multiple IP addresses from the wireless provider (your apartment block) as obviously your router could not be doing that in this instance.

In short I don't think you can achieve what you are after using the router you described. I don't know what subnet your provider is providing, but in my experience these SOHO wireless routers only seem to work with a class C sub-net (typically sub-net mask 255.255.255.0).

With your subsequent elaborations I am now certain your Belkin is not designed to do what you want. Your alternative is as you said in your opening ... wireless cards in each of your LAN devices to pick up the wireless.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/304209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice