1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help connecting my Netgear Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wrenie, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wrenie

wrenie Thread Starter

I am not sure that I am in the right location here. I have a problem getting my router to connect my laptop to my internet. Can someone help me or tell me where I need to post this, please? Wrenie/SIZE]e

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You are probably posting in the correct forum for this particular problem. Exactly what kind of problems are you having? Are you attempting a wired or wireless connection? If it is a wireless connection, is the router using encryption? Are you getting any error messages? Are any other computers able to connect through this router? What is the model number and version number of the router?

3. wrenie

wrenie Thread Starter

Chuck, I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. My email didn't let me know you had answered. Anyway, I am trying to get my NetGear Wireless Router WGR614 to work again. I had a computer problem and after getting it resolved we tried to conned to the internet with our laptop, but it won't work. I have called my server and they said they couldn't help me and NetGear wanted me to pay them $99. I can't afford that right now so I have turned here. To answer all your questions. We cannot connect to the internet with our laptop. I can with my desktop. Wireless connection. Don't know if it is encryption or not. Not getting any error messages. Laptop is the only computer we have on the wireless router. The serial number is WGR614, the version v7. Is there anything else you need to know? Thank you for your help....Wrenie

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have a desktop with internet access, but not through the WGR614 router? How is it connected?

What is the brand and model of your modem?

Please show the following for both PCs ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. wrenie

wrenie Thread Starter

I should have said that I am using Windows XP does that make a difference?

6. wrenie

wrenie Thread Starter

I did what you said and it then I got this message Windows cannot find IPCONFIG/ALL. Make sure you typed the name correctly. To search for a file, click on the Start button and then click search. What does this mean? Wrenie

7. wrenie

wrenie Thread Starter

I am using a Motorola S85101 modem to connect to the internet.

8. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Make sure you have a space between the IPCONFIG and the /ALL part.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Were you in a (black) Command Prompt window?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's actually SB5101 (same as mine). :)

You should have nothing connected to the USB, and the ethernet should be connected to the router's WAN (or modem or internet) port. If you have to change anything to get to this condition power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem. Then the computers should be connected to the router, either by ethernet or wireless.

11. wrenie

wrenie Thread Starter

Ok, I just looked in My Computer and the Netgear is not listed there and there is no red or yellow warning signs.

12. wrenie

wrenie Thread Starter

When I unhooked the power and then after 30 seconds I hooked it back up. The little check light was lit for just a few seconds and then went out. I know that this shouldn't be so complicated to make work.

13. wrenie

wrenie Thread Starter

Terry that is the way I have it hooked up.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

Note that the wireless encryption and channel selection will have to be done after the basic wired connection is established, the first step is to get wired connections working.

• Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
    • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice