1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help connecting my winbook laptop to the internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lac778, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lac778

lac778 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new here and need help connecting my old windows 1998 winbook laptop to the internet. I've tried looking all over the internet for solutions and have been unable to find any! Or I wasn't able to understand most of the information I have found. I'm not savvy with connecting to the internet, so I just need some help. I was told that I just need to buy a new computer because it's old, but I want to see if there's a solution to it first because I don't have money to buy a new computer. So this laptop, when it was connected to the internet, used a dial-up connection. But now at my house, we don't have a home phone anymore so using a dial-up connection isn't an option. It uses wired internet I'm pretty sure. This computer I'm using now belongs to someone else and it uses a wireless connection. I have a Linksys wireless-G broadband router and a wireless adapter card, and I've tried using both with it. The laptop doesn't seem to recognize the router, or it's not compatible with it or something, and with the wireless adapter, I saw that there was a problem with the driver, that I need to update it or something and I don't know how to do it. I guess we have the installation CD that came with the adapter, but I've had trouble finding it. Is there any hope for this situation? Any help appreciated! Thank you!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What OS (Windows 98? Windows 98SE? something newer?)?

Does the laptop have an ethernet port? If so, have you tried that yet?

What is the brand and model of the wireless adapter?

3. lac778

lac778 Thread Starter

It's Windows 98. I have tried connecting the router with the laptop using the ethernet port, but it just doesn't seem to be working and I don't know how to get the two to recognize each other. The brand of the wireless adapter is Microsoft, and its model is MN-520.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does Device Manager show an installed driver for the ethernet?

You may have to use a "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide, to try to find the wireless driver.

5. lac778

lac778 Thread Starter

Yes, I think it's already installed, but for some reason it's just having problems with it and I have to update it or reinstall it. I called a computer place and they told me that the computer's just old. So that's too bad, I don't see why it couldn't work. Have you ever been able to get an older computer to connect to the internet before? I haven't tried what you suggested yet but I will. Thanks for your help.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For me, the oldest via ethernet a 1998 desktop running Windows 98SE. Oldest via wireless a couple 2000 laptops running XP or Puppy Linux.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1077208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice