1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help connecting router to commscope

Discussion in 'Networking' started by linkjg2, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linkjg2

linkjg2 Thread Starter

Hello,

I moved into a house that has ethernet jacks in certain rooms. There is a network box in the hall closet that contains ethernet cables for each room and also a Commscope CSAPDU9VP amplifier with cables attached.

Right now, I have an ARRIS gateway router that is connected to a cable jack in the office. I would like to move it to the hall closet and connect some of the ethernet cables to its ports so I can have fast internet in other rooms without using wifi.

However, I am not sure how to connect the router to the commscope. I read that I prob need a splitter, but I don't what splitter to purchase and how the cables should be connected to it?

I currently own this splitter here. But this looks different than the splitter shown with the commscope here.

Pictures of my network box and also how the commscope is configured are here. Can you review the commscope configuration I currently have and recommend what cable should connect to the router/splitter? Also, what splitter is recommended and if I should purchase a MoCA filter?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Those connections are coaxial, not Ethernet. That is for the cable services coming into the home. If my memory serves you need a MoCA device to have signals separate from TV and Internet.

You may want to confirm with your cable service provider if you have one before attempting such a feat.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Am I to assume you currently have your Arris connected to a coax connection that has a cable that goes into that Commscope box?

I concur with James to contact your ISP before modifying/adding anything to the current wiring. Putting in a splitter can cause problems if your signal strength is at the margins for operation. If you look at the splitter, each of the outputs has a dB loss number associated with it. This is how much the signal is going to be degraded.

But interestingly with my cable service, my ISP had to put an attenuator on my cable feed as the signal was actually coming in too hot.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    BTW that black cable is most likely the cable service so don't mess with that one.

5. linkjg2

linkjg2 Thread Starter

I currently have the Arris connected to a coax cable wall plate in the office. The cable wall plate is connected to the Commscope amp from a cable in the wall. If I unplug the amp, I lose internet (and possibly tv) in the home. Is the MoCA device a substitute for a splitter? How would I connect a MoCA device to the commscope amp?

6. linkjg2

linkjg2 Thread Starter

The black cable is not connected to anything. It is just an extra cable that is attached to the commscope. I originally thought I would connect the router to it, but I am not sure now. Perhaps the commscope power cable should be connected to a splitter and then maybe the office cable in the closet connected for internet and some other commscope cable attached for TV...?

7. linkjg2

linkjg2 Thread Starter

The connections on the commscope are coaxial cables NOT ethernet cables. I have a group of ethernet cables there that correspond with the ethernet ports in each room. If I can figure out how to hook the router up in the closet, I can connect the ethernet cables into the back of it to have internet in those rooms. That's the plan, anyways.

8. zx10guy

The simplest thing to do is to tap one of the ports on the Commscope to provide connectivity to where you want to place the Arris. I wouldn't mess with a splitter at all for the reasons I've stated.

I don't see why MoCA would need to be a consideration here. Maybe James knows something I don't.

9. linkjg2

linkjg2 Thread Starter

The simplest thing to do is to tap one of the ports on the Commscope to provide connectivity to where you want to place the Arris.

Thanks for your help! How would I do that? The commscope is already providing internet to the office. The ARRIS is in the office. But the ARRIS has the ethernet ports on the back of it, so if I want to use them, I need to move the ARRIS to the closet.

10. zx10guy

To get a better understanding, are you looking to move the Arris into where the structured wiring cabinet that houses the Commscope coax distribution block is located? I assume this is the closet you are referring to?

11. linkjg2

linkjg2 Thread Starter

Yes, I would like to move the ARRIS into the structured wired cabinet (if that is how to get the ethernet ports working). The structured wired cabinet is in the closet. It has the ethernet cables connected to the ethernet ports in the house and a commscope amp with coaxial cables attached. The ethernet cables are just dangling in the closet. They are not connected to anything. They need to be connected to the router. In order to connect them to the router, I need to move the ARRIS into the closet and figure out how to connect the ARRIS to the coaxial cables in the cabinet.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I'm basing my information from when I worked for a cable service provider a few years back. They were offering TiVo for their DVR services and it required MoCA devices which will distingush which signals is data and which is CATV. It may have changed since I have last worked on it.

Are you sure they are Ethernet ports and not RJ11 (POTS) ports?

13. zx10guy

Then this should be easy. There's not much information from Commscope about the Non-Interrupt port. Unfortunately, my previous job, I had representatives we would interface with from Commscope. I don't know if those contacts are still there. But based on the information I've seen, it looks like you can utilize that port which is the one with the black cap on it. It's supposed to be an unfiltered port split from the incoming cable feed which is the black cable.

So get an RG6 cable and connect one end to the Non-Interrupt port and the other to the Arris. If that doesn't work, pick one of the other ports on the Commscope, disconnect the cable already installed on it, and the connect the RG6 cable to that port. It's no different than what you were doing connecting the Arris to the coax port in your office.

James brought up the uncertainty the Category cabling hasn't been terminated with RJ45 ends. I suspect they are. The company that wired your home and set up the structured wiring cabinet would have to be all sorts of incompetent if they didn't terminate with RJ45 ends. I would also expect if they intended to make those corresponding jacks for phone, the ends wouldn't be terminated with male ends and would have been punched directly into the phone bridge block in your cabinet. It's the bare board to the upper left of the cabinet. But a close up picture would definitely confirm. It would have been better if they had put in a patch panel in the cabinet where those cables would have been terminated.

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The other concern i have is the state of the coaxials. If you are planning on using those connections then I would hope those cables are sound.

15. zx10guy

I would assume they are; at least the one to the office as he is already using that pathway without issue.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice