1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help converting file formats!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Somebody, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Somebody

Somebody Thread Starter

I have to convert a CDA file to an MP3 file, since Flash MX doesn't take CDAs. Is it possible for me to do this myself, and if not, are there any FREE programs that allow you to convert them? I'm trying to convert an entire CD, and programs like Smart CD Ripper only convert the first 5 tracks. I don't want one of those... Please help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How did you end up with a CDA file? If you want a good CD ripper that's free, try CDEX, it's what I use.

3. mrindeed

mrindeed

Hi, The .cda file extension is normally what u will see if you explore a CD in Explorer (file is usually only a few kb - if that). Simply linking to the audio on a cd.

I recommend using LAME MP3 encoder which is free and gives excellent results.

A google search will find it.

4. flytape8490

flytape8490

Try NCH's switch. You can download it free for about a month or 2, then it asks you to register it for $10, but just un-install it then install it (dont just re-installit without unistalling, it doesn't work.) IT seriousley rocks, also, theres a "WavePad" sound recorder/edditor that is really amazing.
    Switch!
    WavePad

5. JohnWill

CDEX uses LAME to encode the CD's, it's 100% free and never needs to be registered or re-installed. :)

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Like JW (Hi BTW! :)), I would go for CDEx for the Ripper. WMP version 9 and higher does have ripping capabilities, but CDEx seems to be better. :)

7. JohnWill

WMP is pretty poor when it comes to quality CD ripping, I like the 3rd party stuff much better. :) There are lots of other alternatives if for some reason CDEX doesn't ring your bell...

8. russzero

russzero

yep .. c-dex is really good .. even for recording .. one of the 1st ones i found that DIDNT stutter on my old 400mhz pc. Since then i found for recording i need some sort of monitoring.C-dex hasnt yet got any VU meters.!

Anyhow thumbs up for a WAV>mp3 or MP3>wav convertor.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/386494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice