1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help copying HD!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mercy, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mercy

mercy Thread Starter

I need someone who's "been there, done that" to tell me if I'm doing this right or if there's a better way. I have one computer with 2 HD's one a 60GB and the other an 80GB. The 60GB has the OS (Win98SE) and the 80GB has most of the software programs, data, etc. I would like to replace the 80GB with a 120GB but first I need to transfer all the info from the 80GB to the 120GB.

The only way I can think of doing this is to install the 120GB HD as a slave to my CDRW. Then, using Partition Magic, copy all partitions from the 80GB to the 120GB. Afterwards I should be able to remove the 80GB and make the 120GB the slave of the 60GB. Is this doable or is there a better way to go about it? I need to ultimately end up with the same drive letters and partitions (ie, D has all graphics, E - word processing, etc.)

I would like to do this the "safest" way possible so as not to lose any of the information on the present 80GB (it's mostly business stuff!).

I would appreciate any help - never done this before!

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Go to the HD manufacturers website and download their utility for testing the HD. It will include an option to copy the entire hard drive. That is probably the safest and most efficient way to do it.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would disconnect the 60 gig drive. Connect the 80 as the master and connect the 120 as a slave. Now boot with the hd utility and do a disk copy. Shutdown and remove the 80 gig and replace it with the 60 gig that has your os installed.

I know next to nothing about win9x so this might sound like a dumb question; does that os support a drive of that size? Does your bios support a drive of that size? As long as it does, you should have no problem. One other thing to think about; was any disk installed with drive overlay software? If so, this can lead to problems with the system recognizing a new drive.

4. mercy

mercy Thread Starter

Thank you both for the quick responses! It's a WD HD so I'm going to see if their testing utility has the copy feature. But, I had not thought about whether the BIOS would support a 120GB drive. It's an ASUS P4SDX motherboard (Award BIOS) and ASUS is terrible about answering questions. I'm pretty sure Win98 will support it but any idea as to how I would find out about the BIOS? I haven't a clue!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Data lifeguard tools [wd utility] will do a disk copy. I check Asus's site, your board is new enough that a bios update for large hd is not needed. As to win9x supporting the drive, I do not know.

6. junker39

junker39

98SE will support up to 137G. You can put a larger drive but, it will be limited to 137. There's a drive overlay that can be used but you need better advice than I , to use it. Good luck.

7. mercy

mercy Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate the help! I'll copy and switch HD's tomorrow and will post again if there's any problem. Again, thank you!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice