1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Need help copying WMP music files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by django47, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. django47

django47 Thread Starter

I've got about 100 music tracks on windows media player which I would like to copy to a usb flash drive so that I can play it in my car.
    I had no trouble copying from cd to WMP, that was easy, but from WMP to flash, I don't know if it's possible, but if it is, does anyone know how and would be kind enough to explain it to me. Thank you!
    django47.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you add the CD music tracks as files with a CDA extension or some other extension, such as MP3? If you added them as CDA files, you only have indexing information about the CD contents saved on your computer and not the actual music. In that case, copying the CDA files to the flash drive would not give you usable music files.

If the CD music files were converted (Ripped) to MP3 or other type of actual music file by WMP, you should be able to find them in WMP's music file storage location.

3. django47

django47 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. To be honest, I never heard CDA before, I did google it but I'm not sure where I would obtain these file extensions or how I would utilise them to copy exactly same from WMP.I took a snip of the WMP window in the hope that it might mean something. You will see on the right is a favourites saved. WMP music.PNG that's got all the songs, also there is a tutorial cd that was copied to my WMP, I want to play it in the car so I can follow on my Harmonica, ( a blues harmonica for Dummies)
    I want to do a good job copying these albums to a new USB flash drive I but at this moment I'm not 100% sure.
    I did try to copy these songs to android Galaxy Tab A6 but the copied files(songs) were in no order with about 15 tracks, plus it didn't show the titles, the artists' or anything else.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you able to play all of the songs in WMP from each album without any CDs in any drive? If so, the CD audio has been Ripped to audio files saved on the computer.

In WMP, select Organize -> Options... -> Rip Music tab.
    This will show you the location of the WMP Ripped files on you computer. The tab will also show you if WMP is set to automatically Rip a CD when it is opened in WMP. The tab also shows the current audio file format setting used to create the files on the computer. The file format will need to match the one or more audio file formats supported by your car's player.

The Library tab in the Options screen determines if and how WMP adds track data to the music files. Most audio CDs do not contain any textual data (Song title, Performer's name, Album title) about the contents of the disc. You can have WMP attempt to find this information on the Internet. This is typically done with a player that builds a fingerprint of the inserted CD (number of tracks, total playing time, and the playing time of each track) and sends the fingerprint data to a CD database to find a matching CD and send back the details. That appears to have occurred for the two albums showing in you WMP screen capture.

Please let us know the file format being used if WMP is actually ripping files to the computer.

Is your car player not showing any titles or artist names for all the files on the USB drive or just some of the files?

5. django47

django47 Thread Starter

In WMP, Organize>Options>Rip Music tab..... it indicates- c:\Users\micky\Music.

Yes I can play all the albums in WMP without the original cd's in the drive. I ripped all the songs when I originally got this laptop.
    The example I sent you shows the first two albums I have ripped in WMP, I can scroll down to another nine albums to select and double click any track, it will play that track and continue playing the next track, and so on, until I pause or until it reaches the last track recorded in their correct order.
    And yes, as you can see from the sample, when I ripped all the cd's, an image of the album cover, # Track, Title, Length, Star rating(my), Contrib....(that's the artist), so yes all the info from the actual cd is recorded too. If I were to rip anything else, it would continue after the last track in my library.
    The Format tab reads, "Windows Media Audio"

In my car, there is a multi function USB port and if I were to plug in a flash drive, it would show up on the screen. This option would be safer than playing physical cd's, that's the reason I want to copy all my WMP music etc to usb flash drive.

I think I have covered all the items which you queried, I hope it gives enough information for you to answer my question. Thank you.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Check the specifications of your car's entertainment system to make sure that it can play WMA files stored on the USB drive as well as read and display the meta tags (Song Title, Artist, etc.) of the file. Also see if there are any restrictions on storing the files in folders and sub-folders on the drive.

Direct Windows Explorer to the c:\Users\micky\Music location and you should see your ripped music files. You should then be able to open a second Windows Explorer screen for the plugged in USB drive. It should then be easy to copy the files to the USB drive.

If you wish to play the harmonica tutorial files in a particular order you need to check how the car's entertainment chooses the playing order for a group of files. You may find that you will need to rename the files in Windows Explorer by adding 01 - , 02 - , 03 - , etc. to the existing file names.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice