1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help deciding on a sound card, among other things.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sard, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sard

Sard Thread Starter

1.) Alright.... to make this brief, I'm looking at upgrading from my Creative Audigy ZS2 to an X-Fi, however, lookong Newegg only confounded me. The cheaper X-fi has more reviews, but I fear that this is only because it's the smug "fatal1ty" version... Anyways, I want this to be an end-all sort of upgrade, for the time being, or the end-all-under-$200 (but that's not a limit, I may stretch that)... so, could you fine people, who are more versed in the field of sound cards than I am, recommend the best card you can get as a gamer, and the best under $200? I've also heard of these "Santa Cruz" cards...

2.) Also... I'm currently using an AMD Athlon XP DC Manchester 4200+ DCPU, and it's served me well since Nov.'04, but I think I may be moving up to what is apparently the last great thing you can get for a Socket 939, the Denmark 2.6 DC. Would I really notice that big of a difference in my games? I know that most defer to the GPU for performance nowadays, but Supreme Commander doesn't : (, and my CPU is apparently a bottleneck of sorts in that, judging by the demo. More on that later.

3.) My cores seem to stay at a nice 30-37 degree Celsius temperature, even while gaming, so I've also considered overclocking them... I'm a relative newbie in that area, though, so I was wondering if anyone can give me an estimate of much I can OC them without additional cooling if they are hitting those numbers at present.

4.) And this last bit is actually something of a Game issue, but it sort of ties in to this. While playing the Supreme Commander demo, I get strange sound glitches during intense action. Typically when too many weapons are being fired, instead of hearing all of them, I just hear a sort of zrt or plip, and it makes me wonder if the game is taking advantage of my sound card... hence the reason for my interest in a new one.

Many thanks for any help given!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice