1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help deleting an icon

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pkpara, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pkpara

pkpara Thread Starter

I need to delete an icon on my desktop and a file in My Documents that is being 'used by another person or program'. (bty, i have windows xp home edition)

It was something I downloaded with Mozilla to my desktop. I wasn't there to see exactly what occurred, but I'm pretty sure the PART file (when you download it has the two files, one of which, even though I don't have much of a technical understanding at all, being where the file ends up and the other is where it is downloaded to, or the PART file) failed to do whatever it does to the other file to complete the download.... and Firefox did not remove the now unneeded desktop icon like it usually would if the download was canceled in the middle of completion....

The one in My Documents was a result of my attempts to remove the icon from my desktop, and it also refuses to be deleted.

So basically, I have two zero byte application files that cannot be deleted because some mysterious other is using them.

- I tried repetitive deleting
    - I tried completely stopping Firefox in case it was still using them somehow.
    - I tried modifying the file in any way i could (changing the file extension, name, file type, ect through right-click properties, because i dont know how to do it otherwise)
    - I tried physically dragging the icon into the recycle bin and other folders.
    - I tried logging everyone else out and doing all of the above again.
    - I tried to restart the computer and then before all of the startup programs on my profile loaded, delete it.... which didn't work. Afterwards, I tried all of the above again.

ummm.... help, please?
    :p

Sorry for such a long message; i tried to include everything but still make it not such a hassle to read. Thank you SO very much for any help you can give me (tried the microsoft homepage, but they only directed me to other pages :/ ).

have a good day :]

2. GET-R-DONE

GET-R-DONE

hey i dont have no gold shield or nothing but try to go into safe mode an try to delete everything ya ned gone i had to do that before an it worked for me .................

3. pkpara

pkpara Thread Starter

never used safe mode before... but generally im a pretty good learner.
    Ill check that out and see how everything turns out

thank you very much for the suggestion, though :]

4. GET-R-DONE

GET-R-DONE

ok ill try to help you out hope i dont get in no trouble but try this safe mode >>>>>>>>> shut your computer down an restart it when it first comes on to boot keep tapping the F8 key until untill you come up on a screen that has a lot of options of stuff on it . one of your options will be SAFE MODE move your arrow up to it an press enter.wait till the next screen loads up an it will ask you if this is what you want to do then press yes.Then wait until your next screen loads up which will be safe mode.it takes a couple mins to load,then try deleting what you need out of your computer ,an while your in safe mode do all ya need to do then an should work out an when your done restart your computer an let me know what happened ok.......

5. pkpara

pkpara Thread Starter

okay, ill try that :]
    (but i cant do it today because i have some things i have to do first)

This computer is actually shared between me and someone else, so before i dig my hole too deep, im going to read up a bit on safe mode so i know a bit more about what im doing before i attempt anything
    (it would suck to screw up this computer when all im trying to do is remove an annoyance :p)

but, again, thank you :]

6. GET-R-DONE

GET-R-DONE

ok np gl then ..............(y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice