1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help desperately with Linux/ windows booting

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ConspiracySmurf, Dec 14, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. ConspiracySmurf

ConspiracySmurf Thread Starter

I need help badly. I partitioned my 2nd hard drive (I have 3 on alienware desktop) to install linux so I could try it. Installed clean on partition . But now I cant log into windows it wont give me the option it only shows linux when I log into linux I go to computer and can see all my hard drives and partitions but cannot mount the hard drive with windows as suggested by a different site. my first hard drive has windows 7 I want to keep linux if possible but would like to be able to boot windows o do not have repair disk or start up disk I just got computer back from repair shop so haven't had a chance to make one

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try removing that hard drive ( if Windows isn't also on that drive ) and see if windows boots up - it should

3. ConspiracySmurf

Didnt work it takes me to grub rescue command line it shows the hard drive but it's not giving an option to boot it

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, we should assume that you overwrote the Windows boot loader with the one that only boots "linux"? Maybe you specified to not set up a dual boot, or maybe the installation failed for some reason. If you specify the exact distribution/version of "linux" probably somebody can tell you, or direct you to the instructions, of how to repair the boot to include the Windows OS as an option.

5. ConspiracySmurf

When I get home I will post pictures of everything from what I have read it installed in a different drive but linux probably overwrite or deleted the windows loader

6. ConspiracySmurf

Here's picture of boot up 20181215_144538.jpg

7. ConspiracySmurf

Heres picture when its loaded and I click on computer 20181215_145308.jpg

8. wbennett77

wbennett77

Your computer is setup as RAID0.

9. ConspiracySmurf

I'm guessing I need to change that?

10. ConspiracySmurf

I plugged in my 3rd hard drive this is now 20181215_163437.jpg

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type this into it
    then press Enter

If it doesn't show you Windows installation stop now and close the terminal window

Only if it DOES show your Windows installation type this
    then press Enter

Restart the computer and you should have an option to boot windows in the grub boot menu now.

12. ConspiracySmurf

Did not show anything just kept repeating the command line

13. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like you've accidentally overwritten the Windows bootloader with the Linux (Mint? It looks like Mint to me) one.

I don't have this problem. I don't run Windows (haven't done for about 5 years)! However, I do know this much; it's far, far easier to add a Windows boot entry to Grub2 than it is to try and add a Linux one to the Windows bootloader.

From what I've been able to glean, you can d/l the Ultimate Boot CD from Sourceforge:-

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/download.html

.....and use that to either boot directly into Windows (assuming it's still there, of course), or to re-write GRUB2 to include a Windows boot-entry.

Allan's suggestion of using sudo update-grub really ought to fix it. The fact that it didn't suggests one of two things:-

a ) There is no Windows bootloader left to pass control to (what we call chain-loading), and Linux (Mint?) has completely overwritten the MBR. (All the command does is to set up within GRUB2 what's known as a 'chain-loader' command, which then passes control over to the Windows bootloader.....though with you having RAID0 running I really don't know if that would work). Like this:-

menuentry ‘Windows 7′ {
    set root='(hd0,msdos2)’
    chainloader +1
    }

Or:_

b) You haven't entered the command correctly in the terminal.

Without more details, it's hard to know what to suggest.

Mike. ;)

14. ConspiracySmurf

I really dont like windows which is why I wanted to try linux lol however there are files on my windows that I need so is it easier to get those files off the hard drive and I also created a back up on a partition. Basically in my thinking I downloaded linux onto a seperate hard drive that was partitioned so that I would be able to go back and forth using windows while learning linux I am going to try the download you Mike suggested next I do appreciate all the help I think I got in a little over my knowledge level lol

15. wbennett77

wbennett77

You will probably have to disable RAID in your Bios and start from scratch. At this point each hard drive will become independent of the other. If there is anything you need to backup I would strongly suggest you do so BEFORE disabling RAID and the backup will have to be done on a flash drive or CD/DVD.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice