Need help desperately with Linux/ windows booting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ConspiracySmurf

I need help badly. I partitioned my 2nd hard drive (I have 3 on alienware desktop) to install linux so I could try it. Installed clean on partition . But now I cant log into windows it wont give me the option it only shows linux when I log into linux I go to computer and can see all my hard drives and partitions but cannot mount the hard drive with windows as suggested by a different site. my first hard drive has windows 7 I want to keep linux if possible but would like to be able to boot windows o do not have repair disk or start up disk I just got computer back from repair shop so haven't had a chance to make one

Try removing that hard drive ( if Windows isn't also on that drive ) and see if windows boots up - it should

ConspiracySmurf

Didnt work it takes me to grub rescue command line it shows the hard drive but it's not giving an option to boot it

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
So, we should assume that you overwrote the Windows boot loader with the one that only boots "linux"? Maybe you specified to not set up a dual boot, or maybe the installation failed for some reason. If you specify the exact distribution/version of "linux" probably somebody can tell you, or direct you to the instructions, of how to repair the boot to include the Windows OS as an option.

ConspiracySmurf

When I get home I will post pictures of everything from what I have read it installed in a different drive but linux probably overwrite or deleted the windows loader

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type this into it
sudo os-prober
then press Enter

If it doesn't show you Windows installation stop now and close the terminal window

Only if it DOES show your Windows installation type this
sudo update-grub
then press Enter

Restart the computer and you should have an option to boot windows in the grub boot menu now.

First Name
Mike
Sounds like you've accidentally overwritten the Windows bootloader with the Linux (Mint? It looks like Mint to me) one.

I don't have this problem. I don't run Windows (haven't done for about 5 years)! However, I do know this much; it's far, far easier to add a Windows boot entry to Grub2 than it is to try and add a Linux one to the Windows bootloader.

From what I've been able to glean, you can d/l the Ultimate Boot CD from Sourceforge:-

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/download.html

.....and use that to either boot directly into Windows (assuming it's still there, of course), or to re-write GRUB2 to include a Windows boot-entry.

Allan's suggestion of using sudo update-grub really ought to fix it. The fact that it didn't suggests one of two things:-

a ) There is no Windows bootloader left to pass control to (what we call chain-loading), and Linux (Mint?) has completely overwritten the MBR. (All the command does is to set up within GRUB2 what's known as a 'chain-loader' command, which then passes control over to the Windows bootloader.....though with you having RAID0 running I really don't know if that would work). Like this:-

menuentry ‘Windows 7′ {
set root='(hd0,msdos2)’
chainloader +1
}

Or:_

b) You haven't entered the command correctly in the terminal.

Without more details, it's hard to know what to suggest.

Mike. ;)

ConspiracySmurf

I really dont like windows which is why I wanted to try linux lol however there are files on my windows that I need so is it easier to get those files off the hard drive and I also created a back up on a partition. Basically in my thinking I downloaded linux onto a seperate hard drive that was partitioned so that I would be able to go back and forth using windows while learning linux I am going to try the download you Mike suggested next I do appreciate all the help I think I got in a little over my knowledge level lol

You will probably have to disable RAID in your Bios and start from scratch. At this point each hard drive will become independent of the other. If there is anything you need to backup I would strongly suggest you do so BEFORE disabling RAID and the backup will have to be done on a flash drive or CD/DVD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online