Need help desperately.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

trucker1948

Hi I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 which originally had Vista Home 64 on it. The hard drive crashed on me a year ago and because I am fighting a Medical Malpractice case I need to try to restore files on old hard drive. So what I have done is brought a new hard drive so I don't damage the original any further. I installed the new 1tb drive and put windows 7 on it and now I cannot get the drivers to work as it says RPInst64 required. Where can I get a copy to install or drivers that will work without it.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55, AMD64 Family 15 Model 104 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1918 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1270, 192 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 932134 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc.,
Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated and Enabled

TonyB25

Banned
You only need a working computer to connect the drive to. You don't have another one? What about your lawyer?

Hi, since it's a driver issue you would be referring to dpinst64.exe, is this correct?

trucker1948

Yes that is correct. It seems that Dell only supported the 1521 up until Vista and as the files to reinstall are on the failed hard drive I used Windows 7.

trucker1948

You only need a working computer to connect the drive to. You don't have another one? What about your lawyer?
I have saved a lot of the files on the failed drive but there maybe some I cannot get but until I get this laptop fully restored I cannot do anything with the failed drive as it will not mount and is not recognized in the bios. All it says is that it needs formatting.

valis

Yes that is correct. It seems that Dell only supported the 1521 up until Vista and as the files to reinstall are on the failed hard drive I used Windows 7.
That is most likely your problem. Dell doesn't offer any drivers above Vista for that machine.

TerryNet

Terry
Is that TSG System Info Utility information in post # 1 for the PC in question? If so, seems to me it should be good enough as is to copy files, even if have no sound, no networking, 800x600 screen resolution and a plethora of yellow in Device Manager.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online