1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help desperately.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by trucker1948, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trucker1948

trucker1948 Thread Starter

Hi I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 which originally had Vista Home 64 on it. The hard drive crashed on me a year ago and because I am fighting a Medical Malpractice case I need to try to restore files on old hard drive. So what I have done is brought a new hard drive so I don't damage the original any further. I installed the new 1tb drive and put windows 7 on it and now I cannot get the drivers to work as it says RPInst64 required. Where can I get a copy to install or drivers that will work without it.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55, AMD64 Family 15 Model 104 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1918 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1270, 192 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 932134 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc.,
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated and Enabled

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You only need a working computer to connect the drive to. You don't have another one? What about your lawyer?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What drivers?

What is "RPInst64"?

4. jenae

jenae

Hi, since it's a driver issue you would be referring to dpinst64.exe, is this correct?

5. trucker1948

Yes that is correct. It seems that Dell only supported the 1521 up until Vista and as the files to reinstall are on the failed hard drive I used Windows 7.

6. trucker1948

I need Motherboard drivers & Hardware drivers like you do in a fresh install. RPInst is a file required by Windows to install drivers.

7. trucker1948

I have saved a lot of the files on the failed drive but there maybe some I cannot get but until I get this laptop fully restored I cannot do anything with the failed drive as it will not mount and is not recognized in the bios. All it says is that it needs formatting.

8. valis

valis Moderator

That is most likely your problem. Dell doesn't offer any drivers above Vista for that machine.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is that TSG System Info Utility information in post # 1 for the PC in question? If so, seems to me it should be good enough as is to copy files, even if have no sound, no networking, 800x600 screen resolution and a plethora of yellow in Device Manager.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice