Need help diagnosing issue in pc!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Freshtrout

Hey everybody,
Just 2 days ago my PC turned off randomly and wouldn’t turn back on. I checked the back of the psu and the green light was blinking. I purchased a new psu assuming the psu died, but after installing the psu, the pc still wouldn’t turn on. I tried the following methods already to see what the issue was:
  1. I jumped my new psu, psu works.
  2. Disconnected and reconnected ram
  3. Tested ram slots
  4. Tried booting with and without gpu, nothing still.
  5. Tried just booting with connections to motherboard, nothing.
  6. Tried changing cmos battery, nothing.
even after all this testing, my pc still won’t turn on. I even tried my old psu, plugged it back into my pc, surprisingly it had a solid green light. I’m leaning towards my motherboard is dead, as there is no light displayed on it, but don’t want to buy one just for it to be something different. Please drop some opinions of what I should do, and if its really the motherboard.
My pc: HP ENVY 700-414 (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04453446)
My upgrades:
My gpu: Gigabyte Gtx 1060 3 gb
My new psu: EVGA white certified 80+ 500W
Thank you

crjdriver

That is a pretty old system; approx 6yr old now. IMO it is not cost effective to attempt to repair a big box system like that. If your motherboard has failed, you have no choice but to either purchase it from HP [most likely very expensive] or try to find one used on ebay/amazon. If you try and replace the board with an industry standard board ie asus, gigabyte, etc, it most likely will not fit in the case AND you will need a new copy of windows. As you can see, this can turn out to be a pretty expensive endeavor.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online