1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help finding MS Office product key

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bwallen, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bwallen

bwallen Thread Starter

Hi - I bought a Compaq pc several years ago loaded with Win 7, and MS Office 2007- I would like to register the Office so I can use it (never did) but have lost my product key-- I still have the Win7 product key and the Compaq model, serial # etc- the guy at BestBuy says they have a software to find the key on my pc for $100 - ouch - is there a way I can do it without spending that kind of money ? thanks for a reply

2. Sponsor

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Hi bwallen, and welcome to TSG.

Are you sure that you purchased a licensed copy of MS-Office 2007 when you purchased the computer? Otherwise, you may only have a free trial version of Office that is only valid for a limited number of days after you use it for the first time.

If you are sure that your computer came with a non-trial version of Office 2007 pre-installed, you may be able to use a free program called Magic Jellybean to retrieve it from the computer.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

If you've never entered the product key on the PC, I don't see how they're going to retrieve it for you. I think the Geek Squad guys are blowing smoke, to be honest.

5. managed

managed Allan

6. bwallen

bwallen Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies - I ran both those programs and they found other stuff but no MS Office keys so they must not be there- its possible all I had was a trial but I remembered paying for a loaded up pc from BestBuy - so oh well thanks anyway

7. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

What's the model name and complete model number of that Compaq-brand PC?
    What's the exact product number(P/N) on it?

Once it's correctly identified, it'll be a lot easier to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. bwallen

bwallen Thread Starter

Well if I may ask about a possible work-around - I do have a licensed copy of Excel on another older pc PentIII running XP Home but I can't get it to work with my flat screen monitor - a Dell IN1910N- message keeps saying ' current input timing is not supported by the display- please change input timing to 1366 x 768--60hz " if I lug an old CRT over to it works but that old CRT weighs about 450 lb of course- I tried loading the Dell driver on it manually but it ignores it-- max display setting it will allow is 1280 x 1024- if I can get the flat screen to work that's my preferred fix - thanks

9. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Check the computer's Windows Display Settings to see if your computer's video controller supports any of the resolutions and refresh rates in the attached chart. If you find a match (the further down the chart the better), you should be able to set the computer to that resolution and refresh rate and have it properly operate the monitor.

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185393