1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help finding out what this is called

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ishelto, Sep 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ishelto

Ishelto Thread Starter

Hi I’m trying to find out what the system where the power button and where your computer runs from is called? I’m trying to keep my monitor keyboard and mouse but am trying to replace that with something newer .

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The biggest board on the bottom of the case where everything plugs into is called the motherboard. People sometimes call it mobo for short. It will come with a manual that tells you which connections are which. The front panel of the case where the power button, audio, USB are has wires that connect to the motherboard. And my computer case has labelled cables which tells me which cable is which.

3. Ishelto

Ishelto Thread Starter

Am i able to switch this out and use a different motherboard and keep everything else

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I don't quite understand the initial question, but as long as you have the same connections, you can use the same keyboard and mouse. The monitor should also be fine too, however replacing the motherboard will most likely require a new CPU, and memory at minimum.

What exactly are you trying to acomplish?

5. Ishelto

Ishelto Thread Starter

I’m trying to switch out the system to something new. My motherboard is old I need higher ram wanted to find a cheaper way to have a new computer.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Is the current machine a branded machine like Dell?

7. Ishelto

Ishelto Thread Starter

Yes it is. How could i do that it’s a dell

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Dell doesn't use standard parts. Their motherboards are their own and 3rd party mobo's don't fit .

9. Ishelto

Ishelto Thread Starter

My old one is a dell I’m looking to buy a newer dell motherboard to replace my old one.

10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

You're wasting your time trying to find a Dell mobo; 1 it'll be expensive and 2; you're right back at proprietary issues for upgrading with aftermarket hardware.

You would be better served if you just did a custom build. Building your own PC for your direct needs and budget. You can go with; buying all the individual parts and assembling them yourself or buy a completely assembled PC which you can upgrade hardware at anytime.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From your posts [not knowing the terms for the parts in the computer] I would suggest you just purchase a new system. If you do not know what parts are called, building a new system or swapping a motherboard, processor, and ram is most likely above your skill level.
    Without some basic understanding, you would end up wasting your money.

plodr likes this.
  12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    As mentioned, you are better off getting a new dell computer than upgrading the current one because Dell does not supply upgradable parts... otherwise there is no money in the prebuilts.

If you are in the US, you may want to wait until the holidays because they will have deals on new computers.

13. lynx1021

lynx1021

What is your model and service tag on your Dell? we may be able to recommend a off lease or used Dell that is better than you have to save you money.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice