1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help finding the product key of a damaged installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Henrih, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Henrih

Henrih Thread Starter

So, my situation is this.

I have a laptop which has Win XP installed, but the installation has become totally corrupt. I can't get into Windows, not even in safe mode, and I tried repair install but it couldn't even find the Windows installation. So I'm thinking, I have no choice but to install Windows again right?

The laptop also has Xubuntu installed and I can access the Windows partition that way. But how would I get the product key from the Windows installation? Is there some file or files that I can take out and transfer over to another PC to check with some program or something? I tried looking around but I just can't quite make sense of what would be the best course of action here.

Oh and before you ask, yes there is a sticker on the bottom of the laptop but it's so worn out I can't see what the product key is. I have Win XP CD ready, but the product key on that CD is for my other computer so I can't use that.

Sorry if I make this sound confusing :confused: Help would be appreciated :eek:

2. Henrih

Henrih Thread Starter

Anyone? :(

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I deleted my previous post because on further thought it doesn't do what's desired here. Sorry.

4. Crazy10

Crazy10

AFAIK, you could download and install Wine (in the Software Center) for XUbuntu and the Magic JellyBean Finder (for Windows) and install through Wine.

5. Henrih

Henrih Thread Starter

I already tried that but the program wouldn't start, it loads for a while and then displays an error message :confused:

6. Crazy10

Crazy10

What message is that?

7. Henrih

Henrih Thread Starter

It's in Finnish, roughly translates to "The program keyfinder.exe has encountered a serious problem and it must be closed. We're sorry for the inconvenience"

8. Crazy10

Crazy10

Have you tried PlayOnLinux?

9. Henrih

Henrih Thread Starter

No, I didn't know about that, will try it out thanks :)

10. Henrih

Henrih Thread Starter

It still gives the same error message with PlayonLinux...

11. Crazy10

Crazy10

Do you have another computer?

12. Henrih

Henrih Thread Starter

Yes, what do you suggest?

13. Crazy10

Crazy10

Get a hard drive enclosure and install JellyBean on the other computer. Load the registry hive in %Laptop HDD%\Windows\System32.

14. Henrih

Henrih Thread Starter

Hmm. I thought of an easier way, just copy the system32 folder to the unix partition and then to an usb flash drive. But I keep getting i/o errors on every single file. Seems like it's really beyond salvaging...

15. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    What you can maybe try is to get restore/recovery cds for your model of computer from whoever made it if its a branded one like dell, hp, etc.when those are used they rarely if ever have to be activated so it doesnt matter if the COA sticker is unreadable.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1120095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice