1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help finding xp ahci controller driver for hp g56-122

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cbowling, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbowling

cbowling Thread Starter

i cannot install xp due to the lack of ahci driver
    also cannot find a driver that will work with my hp g56-122
    hp has no xp driver
    and i cannot find one that works with my comp from amd ether

is there a generic microsoft one that i can use?
    or does anyone know where i can find a driver that will work?

i know how to slipstream it just cant find the driver:(

2. cbowling

cbowling Thread Starter

3. cbowling

cbowling Thread Starter

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Ahci is meant to be used for sata drives but on most systems it is a thorough pain. Why not go into the bios and set the drives to be "ide" instead of AHCI and it should install just fine.

5. cbowling

cbowling Thread Starter

i dont have that option in my bios otherwise i would
    and i really dont want to be stuck with 7 so i got xp and now i gotta find a driver either generic or otherwise (just need to find one that works with my comp)
    i know its a pain but its the only way

anybody know where i should check in everest to find out what i need to search for to find the driver i need?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Look first of all your pc obviously doesn't have a driver for that and HP is notorious for spending money only when they can make it so a high amount of their products never move forward or back with OS changes. It is getting tougher and tougher to get XP drivers on their site and forget anything earlier.
    You have to hav an option of AHCI and ide or something else that will allow you to install but if it's a sata driver you mean for XP forget about it, they do not want you to use XP and neither does Microsoft.

7. cbowling

cbowling Thread Starter

i know, i sent hp an email about it and they were quite rude about it (as expected) ignoring my questions completely

windows 7 has compatibility options in the properties menu but they appear to be useless
    at least in xp the compatibility options did something

that is why i am trying to figure this out
    i guess i will figure out what kind of motherboard i have and see if i can find a driver that is at least close enough and see what i can do

thx for the info though

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sorry I can't do more but I remain convinced that AHCI is not the only option as I am a system builder and I have never seen that before.

9. cbowling

cbowling Thread Starter

well, its a hp laptop and as you know hp and microsoft are commies so they are both going to make it difficult
    but im sure there is a way

i think im gonna try a bios update and see if i get the option for ide emulation then

10. cbowling

cbowling Thread Starter

ok, so i believe i have found the proper driver

but nlite slipstream wont work (when the cd loads it says it cannot find the .sys file for the driver and "press any key to reboot")

so i slipstream manually, making sure to put the .sys file in there too, but i get the same thing

so, is there a way that i can make a cd that acts like a floppy to fool the computer into using a cd to install the raid driver since i have no floppy drive?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice