1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help for a backup strategy..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TheLord, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheLord

TheLord Thread Starter

Hi all,

i'm using Veritas Backup Exec for windows, i have daily and weekly backup.
    our working hours are from 7:00am to 2:15pm, sat - wed... thursday, friday off.
    one of the dept. attend the office every thursday with the same working hours.

daily backup: partial backup, uses 1 tape.
    starts at 11:40am, finishes at 2:00pm.

now, the weekly back up plan .. that's what i need help in. it takes 2 tapes and about 3hrs to 4hrs to backup because it's a full backup.

i don't know how to plan my weekly backup.
    i can show up on thursday to start the backup early morning, but that won't backup end of the day jobs..

suggestions, comments .. help!
    really appreciated

2. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy The Lord,
    Do you have a server to save to for the business? Do you have more than one drive so that you can set up a raid system and have dual saving to both drives, then perhaps you can run a backup on the second drive whilst using the original? Can you get bigger tapes or can you get an external drive, save to that then back up from that drive? Can you just back up the files that are changed and/or new for the day or do you have to do a complete backup? Just a few thoughts. Don't know if they are helpful or not.

3. TheLord

TheLord Thread Starter

thnx for ur reply pfurball,

i have a server where the users save their files on, and i backup that server plus the exchange server.
    i cannot get a bigger tape because the tape drive only ment for 40/80gb..
    i have an external hdd of 160GB, but if i ask them to save to it, what's the next step ?? take backup of this drive ? that means an extra daily backup job has to be done for that drive saperately.
    and weekly backup shud be a full backup ..

i was thinking of:
    weekly backup shud be taken on thursday at 2pm "which is end of the day" but after 3 to 4hours it will ask for the 2nd tape, and i cannot just come and go for that job, even tho, i don't have the keys for all the doors and i'm not allowed to have them..

4. TheLord

TheLord Thread Starter

any other suggestions ?!

5. TheLord

TheLord Thread Starter

B.U.M.P .... suggestions plz ..

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice