1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NEED HELP FOR DIMM SDRAM & SIMM DRAM MEMORY

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lehahiah, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lehahiah

Lehahiah Thread Starter

I want to help my friend to add memory. But on her mainboard she have 2 kind of memory : 2 sockets DIMM SDRAM and 2 sockets SIMM EDO/FPM DRAM. If She have a 64 MB installed on a SIMM EDO DRAM can I add 64 MB DIMM SDRAM ? If yes, Does the total of memory will be 128 MB or the system will only see the 64 MB SIMM EDO DRAM installed ? Thank you for your help.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What brand and model is her mother board. If there is still a Manual available online for it we should be able to come up with an answer for you. :p

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Usually when a motherboard has slots for two different kinds of memory you cannot mix them.

You have to use one type or the other.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I agree that you can't mix two memory types. I've only seen one exception and it didn't see all the RAM.

Since SDRAM is cheaper and more widely available I'd go for getting that and removing the EDO RAM. Howeveer you'll need to know the motherboard model to find out how much RAM can be added; you may only be able to use a maximum of a 64MB or 128MB module in each slot.

5. rmay635703

rmay635703

You can mix the memory types if the memory sockets are different banks, Many times Bank 0 is a simm bank and bank 0 is also dimm bank meaning you can't put memory in both

We need the model # of the board to know for sure.

Anyway if you have a board like the pcchips m571 you could install simms in bank 0 but then you had to use the second dimm socket, however this can wear out your dimm faster because of 5v noise being on the memory I/O channel.

Cheers

6. pronute

pronute

In addition to what Triple6 stated you'll have to know what jumper to set also.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice