1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help formatting hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bigdave85, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdave85

bigdave85 Thread Starter

I currently have a Gateway computer built in 1999. The computer has 512 mb ram. A pentium II processor. I have a newer copy of windows xp home edition installed on the hard drive. Due to virus and software removal issues my hard drive is almost full. I need to uninstall this version of windows and formatt using my original version of windows xp without the service pack 2. It will not boot from the cd drive because it will not let me put on a older version on top of a newer copy. Microsoft recommended to boot cd in the setup screen. they told me to change the boot setting so that cd is the first drive read. I was told to press the F10 function key to boot from startup with cd in the drive.
    I am supposed to get a second screen that tells me to press any key to boot. When this screen did come up any key that I pressed would not boot the cd. However I am also having problems accessing the screen to give me this prompt while pressing f10. I was told that there was no driver error with the keyboard since other functions with the keyboard are working. Thank you for any help you can provide as I am currently stuck and extremely frustrated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

"It will not boot from the cd drive because it will not let me put on a older version on top of a newer copy." How do you know this if you have not been able to boot?

There is no need to "format" with modern operating systems. Setup allows preparing the drive as one of its options later on.

You should enter BIOS setup and put the CD-ROM at the top of the boot priority list.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

"It will not boot from the cd drive because it will not let me put on a older version on top of a newer copy."

How do you know this if you have not been able to boot?

There is no need to "format" with modern operating systems. Setup allows preparing the drive as one of its options later on.

You should enter BIOS setup and put the CD-ROM at the top of the boot priority list.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/894796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice