1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help from Virus Expert

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Himem9, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Himem9

Himem9 Thread Starter

Suddenly my computer run very very very slow (about 30 minutes for Window to start and take about 3-10 minutes to response to any click). The system is only one and a half year old. I suspected it is virus and I do not have any anti virus S/W in my computer. It's almost impossible to use online scan because it take about half any hour for my modem to get connected and once it connected it is take another half an hour to get the scan start and then it freeze up a few times after the scan started.

I just got the Norton AV and trying to intall it but the manual said the system should be scanned before installation. I scanned from the Norton AV CD and also created the Emergency Disks from other computer. Both failed and got the messages:
    "Unable to access drive C:
    Make sure the drive is ready
    Unable to create a temporary file to permit scanning within
    the compressed files..........."

Help please, Greatly apprecite.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

First, what Windows version do you have and when did this problem first begin?

Can you access the site below, download and unzip the StartupList application, then run it and copy/paste the results to a reply?

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

3. Himem9

Himem9 Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog,

Thanks a lot for your response. I don't quite get what you said about the Lurkhere site.
    The OS is XP, CPU is Athlon 1.2 GHz, 128 MB RAM.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you go to the LurkHere site you will see a download for:

StartupList 1.51

This is a zipped application which will display a list of all your current startups and help in diagnosing any unusual or viral startups.

After unzipping the file, run it. You will see a text file displayed. You can upload that as an attachment or you can copy/paste the file directly to a reply. To copy/paste, when the file is open, click Edit>Select All > Edit > Copy and then right click on a reply window here and select "paste".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice