1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Getting my RAM Usage down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ccfilms, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

Hey,

I'm a long time PC Tweaker person dude (cool title eh?).

Anyways, I just upgraded my PC from Home to Pro (clean install) and get all my software installed and such. However, I noticed that my commit charge is at 168MB when restarting my PC as opposed to it's old 109MB on XP Home. I ran all the tweaks that I know how and am certain that my settings are the same (in terms of start up items).

Maybe someone could take a look at these THREE items and see why my commit charge running idle is 168MB as opposed to 109MB that it used to be on Home:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
    Scan saved at 11:36:47 AM, on 1/24/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Jeremy\My Documents\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=192.168.0.1:83
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = www.direcwaysupport.com;192.168.0.*;<local>
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperWorkstation\DKService.exe

Attached Files:

2. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

Also, I forgot to mention, my Windows boot up and shut down times (11/4) are at an all time low, so that's very strange indeed.

3. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Ypu should worry. My commit charge is 219Mb. Nothing unusual about that. What is the pagefile reading? Add another 512Mb is the real answer, if there is too much paging.

Start up 55 seconds. Shut down 17 seconds. Commit charge on re-start 193Mb.

4. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

I have a 1536MB page file (running on slave hard disk on it's own 5GB partition at the very beginning of the drive). And if I look at the stats on it, it says that all 168MB are running from the page file.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

First, you are running a different O/S so base ram consumption is different.

Secondly, why are you worried about ram consumption, unless you are running on a small box? The goal should be to use ALL of the ram, not conserve it. Windows doesn't need free memory in order to function, and having free ram is wasted ram.

As well, it's a virtual memory system, so when windows runs out of free memory it will start to move the older and unused areas out to the swapfile. Memory areas such as those that are only used at initialization time, but will stay resident if there is still available memory.

Only if you get into serious paging rates should you start to get overly concerned about ram.

But, since you are a tweaker, you may be able to shutdown some services.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

**168 running from the pagefile.
    Not sure what you are looking at, but just because there are areas "assigned" in the pagefile, doesn't mean that they are "actively" being used.
    And, nothing "runs" from the pagefile.

6. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

OK.... i never quite understood that. :p

And, if you look at my "Services.gif" file, you'll see that I have shut down and modified every single service in my list to make windows more optimal. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice