Need Help Going From Win98 to Win2k OS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The Orakul

Okay my operating system was win2k , while installing and viewing contents of a diffrent hard drive drive (as i have done before) i put the drive i had in before back in. But now my computer ask for 98 boot disk from floppy . What are the steps to go from win98 boot disk to win2k operating system.I have the disks and cd rom and don't want to erase my hard drive, just install win2k again over the existing win98 system.

Thanks

Orakul

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Is that what you really want to do? If you don't need anything on the drive, OK, but if you do, there may be a way to fix the problem booting to your win2k drive you had before.
If I read your post the right way, you temporarily hooked up a drive running 98, then took it out, and put your win2k drive back in and it won't boot, is that what happened?
You probably corrupted the boot sector...so it cannot "see" the Windows 2000 install.

There are ways to repair the problem. But, if you do not want to try:

Look over the following info, make sure of what you wish to do, like upgrade over 98, not format fresh, unless that is what you are going to do....it's best to install win98 first, if you are going to dual boot or want to in the future.

Depending on what Service Packs you had installed, you may not be able to upgrade or install over top of win2000.

Installing over itself is not the best way, but it may work for now, then you can start again.
http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/installwin2000.htm

You can make a bootdisk for win2000 or any O/S here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online