1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help! Hard Drive Failure!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Galaxis12345, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Galaxis12345

Galaxis12345 Thread Starter

Today I was downloading some games from steam and my pc went to my bios and then my hard drive wasn't being detected. I checked if all the cables were plugged in and intact and everything seemed fine. There is no physical damage to my hard drive or the cables. I don't know what happened or how to fix what happened. I can't go into windows I am just stuck in bios. Please help!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    In the BIOS you don't see the hard drive detected/listed, correct?

Do you hear it "spin" when you push the power button to turn on the system?

You verified that the SATA cable and the power cables are connected to it?

You tried different SATA ports?

If you tried all the above, and still nothing, it likely is a dead drive. When they die, they normally go without warning.

3. Galaxis12345

Galaxis12345 Thread Starter

The bios does not detect my hard drive when it is in any SATA. I hear and feel the disk spinning no rattling or abnormal sounds. Everything is intact and connected. Is there any reasoning for it to fail so suddenly. I've had the Hard drive for about two years now, so I feel like it is early for it to die.

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Try a different SATA cable and if possible connect it to a different computer.

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Try a different HDD.
    Maybe you HDD is defective

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have had drives fail after only a few days and I have had drives last for many, many years. If the drive is not detected by the bios [and you have tried the drive in another system with the same result] the drive has failed.
    Install a new drive and either clean install the operating system OR restore an image of the drive. Done.

All hard disks fail. It is only a question of when your drive will fail. Just one of the reasons why we stress backups so much. With an image backup of the drive, it takes <30 min to install a new drive and restore the image. Right back to where you were when the image was made.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW low end drives fail much quicker than high end drives. WD black series or raptor series are almost bullet proof. I have never had one of those fail. My in-laws have a system I built for them at least 7yrs ago with a WD black drive. Used every day and still running fine.

8. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Prior to about 2010(ish), many series of drives became known to have engineering defects that often caused the drive to become nonexistent or 0MB which is just as bad with no notice, at all.
    All of them, since about 1994, have a hidden "system" area where SMART information is kept, including such things as how many hours it has been on, how many times it has power cycled, and a whole lot more. That "system" area is used by the drive's onboard processor to keep information it uses, ideally to improve the drive's reliability. When the "system" area becomes unreadable or corrupted, the drive, most often, never comes ready and is then not detected by the BIOS.
    Post 2010(ish), the defect is in one of the subsystems which were made for Seagate, WD, Hitachi, etc. by another manufacturer. Weak head assemblies, poor platter quality, positioner weaknesses, or weak electronics on the logic board, are all common reasons for failure.
    I'll conceed that WD "black" drives may go through more stringent testing and quality control; but, that does not make them inherently superior to other drives.
    If you do not have backups of your data, your only real choice is to send the drive to a data recovery company and be prepared for a $700+ bill, at least.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The black series has dual motor supports and dual processors. Yes, they are superior to other drives such as the blue or green series. This is reflected in the 5yr warranty vs the low end drives at 2~3yrs.
    While anything mechanical can fail, you are much less apt to have a quality drive fail than a low end one.
    I have had drives from ALL mfg [WD, Seagate, Maxtor, Quantum] fail however I have never had a black drive or raptor drive fail.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice