1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Hosting Site on Server 2003

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by ImagingGuy2015, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImagingGuy2015

ImagingGuy2015 Thread Starter

I am working for a company that had an old server hosting their website. The paid a developer to create a new website in php and purchased a newer server. I installed MS server 2003 and gave the machine to their network guy. He configured the FTP,DNS, IIS, and other services. Then he left the company and they have put the duty of setting up a company domain and getting the website back up to me. I setup the domain and created all users and groups, gave them roaming profiles etc. and everything worked OK aside from slow server performance. Opening files over the network seems to take much longer than it did on the old server even though this one is a newer machine with 2 network cards (one 10/100 one 100/1000).

Now when I try to go to the company website I can only get there on the local intranet by typing companyname.com. When i type in www.companyname.com in a browser I get an error page. I am hoping to get the dns working properly and then try to put the php website up. I already followed instructions on install of php, still a bit shady on what to do after that.

any help getting my dns issue figured out and any ideas about why my network is so slow would be appreciated. thanks, Jeff

2. ImagingGuy2015

i solved the network lag issue by disabling the 10/100 card altogether. now its just the gigabit nic card running and transfer times are less than half of what they were with both cards running. I am going to have to look into getting some sort of nic controller for using both of them in the future.

still have no idea whats going on with the dns though, does anyone have any advice? I followed the windows help and a google search examples but still no luck. all i can get is an html index doc to open when i type companyname.com into a webbrowser. cant get anything from www.companyname.com

any help is appreciated. jeff

3. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Have you set up your internal domain name the same as your company website domain name?

Also if you want to run a php/mysql based website from a Windows server try using Wamp Server (http://www.wampserver.com/en/) It installs PHP, MySQL and Apache for you and gives you some nice handy tools for managing them all.

I isntalled php and mysql manually a couple of times, but Wamp makes life much easier.

4. ImagingGuy2015

under DNS there are 2 forward lookup zones. The first is _msdcs.company.com the second is just company.com . I created another forward lookup zone called www.company.com though it doesnt seem to do anything.

under active directory and users the domain name is listed as company.com. When I join workstations to the domain I join them to company.com

Are you saying that if I redo the domain name as www.company.com and have a forward lookup zone as www.company.com that everything should work?

I dont know why its not like that now all I know is the guy who set it up apparently knows alot about server 2003 and had our last server running so I am thinking there is a reason he didnt make the domain www.company.com

I think I setup the php ok, i just need the dns to properly work. I made a php doc called index.php that just displays phps info and when I go company.com it comes up, just need www.company.com to come up with the same page, then I can load our new php website into the root folder and it should be good from there on from what I understand. I am a noob with anything server related so I am just guessing here.

thanks for your insight!

5. ImagingGuy2015

ok well i have solved the nic issues.

I then added a CNAME (Alias) to the DNS for www.company.com. Now when I go to company.com or www.company.com using a browser on our local intranet the site appears perfect. When I try to access the site from outside our network I get "page cannot be displayed" page instead. Whats really strange is that my ftp (ftp.company.com) is working perfectly when accessed from outside our network. Not sure what to do now.

If anyone has any advice or knows of a forum that is more inclined towards these sorts of problems please let me know!!!!

thanks a million, jeff

6. ImagingGuy2015

bump ANYONE know ANYTHING about server 2003? need some help here//

7. jonvan

jonvan

Did you setup IIS to allow access from the internet guest account?

What happens if you try to display a HTML page from a computer outside the network?

8. ImagingGuy2015

yes the guest account is setup properly. so is anonymous access to site.

when i try to access from outside the network I just get "page cannot be displayed" generic error, same one you get when you mistype a web page name.

whats really strange is the ftp site is working fine, users can go to ftp.company.com login do their file transfers etc. no issues at all, just the web page has problems.

thanks for the response though :)

9. ImagingGuy2015

ok i think i have figured it out. the web based dns server was still pointing to our old server. i havent tried implementing the change to the web based dns yet as i dont have our username/password for our web dns as our network guy has left the company and didnt record any passwords for us. hopefully it will be relatively point and click once i redo the password for login..

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice