Need help in Buying a PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ashutoshkushwaha

Ashutosh
Hi, i have a little confusion and I really need your help to decide me buying a laptop. I'm confused between Intel and AMD. My main task on the laptop would be running Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise edition and running FL Studio and Pro Tools software for audio editing.
In September, I purchased a HP laptop which has Intel Core i3 6th Gen processor, 2.0 GHz processing speed, 4GB RAM and 1TB Hard Disk. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64bit OS on it and it runs smoothly without any problems. I installed visual studio 2017 ERP on it and right after that it got slow and windows boot time increased to 10 minutes which is really frustrating. VS 2017 performance is also not satisfactory and it runs slow, to compile a single line of C++, it takes about 12 seconds.
I googled about the issue and found that I'm not the only one with this issue, people with Core i7 and 8GB RAM PC are also facing system and OS slowdown issue after installing visual studio 2017.
I've not used any AMD processor because since the beginning I've always used Intel processors but now I'm thinking to buy a laptop with AMD processor as they are cost effective and as per the reports, they perform same as Intel processors till the mid range PCs.
If You guys do review of laptops and have good practical knowledge then I would like to ask you that which processor would be good for me? Intel or AMD. My budget is not too high.
Could you suggest me any laptop (which you think would be good enough to run VS2017)? If possible, please install visual studio in your test computer and check the performance of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
I have not used VS before but afaik, it's like a rendering program correct?

If that's the case you will likely need a gaming laptop with a dedicated graphics card due to needing a substantial amount of VRAM.

I would definitely stick with an i7 cpu as well.

ashutoshkushwaha

Ashutosh
I have not used VS before but afaik, it's like a rendering program correct?

If that's the case you will likely need a gaming laptop with a dedicated graphics card due to needing a substantial amount of VRAM.

I would definitely stick with an i7 cpu as well.
Visual studio is an IDE used to develop software. Graphics card is actually not a necessary requirement for it.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
So it relies heavily on cpu then. I would go for an i7 cpu and minimum of 16GB RAM to increase your performance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!