Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help in doing a sfc/scannow without the Win XP CD

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Kirei Blossom 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario 8000, running Win XP Home edition. I would like to do an sfc/scannow, but my computer didn't come with a Win XP CD. I searched around, and discovered I need to find the i386 folder, and to change the regedit Sourcepath to C:\.

My i386 folder is located here:

D:\CPQDRV\250505\00A\008\250505.ZIP:\WINDOWS\I386.

The main problem is, that its a zipped folder. My regedit Sourcepath points to E:\, which happens to be my DVD drive. I don't think I can point it to a zip folder.. and unzipping could mess everything up.

I'm kind of scared that if I unzip the i386, where to unzip it to? Might it mess anything up? Please help me in figuring this out!

#5 ·
I think it would work ok if you unzip the files to a folder called i386 on the root of C, that is to C:\i386.

If you do that the Sourcepath in the Registry will be correct when set to C:\

#7 ·
Thanks. One more question:

I wanted to do this scannow because I've been getting a "System has recovered from serious error" message at every startup, and I can't figure out what the problem is.

Is there any chance that the scannow will delete driver updates, and other Windows XP Automatic hotfixes etc, and revert them back to how they originally were? Because I wouldn't want to do the scan if its going to delete my updated drivers..

#10 ·
It's been some time since I posted my original message, but the problems seemed to have resolved themselves, which is why I never did the scannow. Now, I'm having a few problems again, so I decided to do an sfc/scannow. I tried to unzip my original I386 folder to the C drive, and it worked, except that it returned that one of the files "I386\NTLANUI2.DL_." is corrupt.

I have no idea how my original files inside the D: drive can be corrupt. Is there anyway I can replace this file? Or should I do the scannow with the files that did unzip??

Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.