1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help in newer home setting up network w/ installed wires

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lorded, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lorded

lorded Thread Starter

Hello all. I am starting with you because I need some help. My wife and I recently bought a house. Its about 5yrs old so I am not sure what the previous owners did but the house came wired up with COAX and Cat5 cabling in all the rooms. I would like to get them up and running so I can plug in wherever.

I have some links below to check out what I am facing but basically there is a rack mounted in my coat closet. It looks like (pic 1) the wires that run down the right side and at the bottom are all the COAX setup for my Directv, so no worries there. For the networking and Cat5 cabling, its all in the upper left. (pic 2 and pic 4) The two black boxes they are plugged into are the OnQ 1x6 Basic Telecom Unit and On-Q 6 Port Telecom Expansion Module. I believe those wires all run back to each wall outlet (pic 3) in every room I am trying to hook up.

My question is how do I get my internet access to them all? I am on Comcast with an Arris TM502G Cable Modem which goes to my Netgear WNDR3700 wireless router. There is a power outlet wired into the closet rack. Knowing all this, do I need a new switch or hub to go with this or can I plug my mode/router into those "black boxes" somewhere to span my internet to all my wall outlets.

Let me know if you have any questions about this or need better pictures of anything. Woud love to be able to plug my BluRay player or XBox directly to a wall port by the TV or plug my laptop into the wall for faster access.:D

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

2. ckphilli

ckphilli

Here's what I would do:

The links you posted for those panels deal with security. Do you have a security system? If so, I wouldn't mess with that too much.

See the bundle of connectors coming out of the white cable up top (with a stray gray wire that extends down)? Grab your modem and experiment.
    1) Count the connectors and see if it matches your outlets (maybe they're labeled? can't see)
    2) Plug one of the loose connectors into your modem (power up of course) and try each outlet. If you get a connection on one of the outlets, problem solved; buy a switch; plug all of the connectors into it; power it up.

Let me know how it goes, I'm interested. :) Good luck!

EDIT: Don't forget to plug your modem into the coax for your ISP as well.

3. lorded

lorded Thread Starter

Thanks for writing back. Appreciate any advice. To answer your question, no there is no security wired into the house. Also if you look at the picture of my wall plates, you will see there is two RJ-45 jacks at each outlet. I believe the bundle of blue Cat5 cables goes to the blue jacks and the white Cat5 cables goes to the grey jacks. Each of the wires are labeled (bed 3, kitchen, etc) in the cabinet.

I guess what I am worndering is if anyone can tell from the pics of the black boxes, are they acting as HUBs so I can plug a modem into it and pass the signal across or will I need a switch at some point to hook all the cables to it and wire the modem to that?

4. ckphilli

ckphilli

Where does the "other" grey wire that's punched into the wall plate go? (it goes down but I can't see where it terminates)

I think they might be acting like a hub. Try it out, have some fun. :) Since you don't have a security system, you won't hurt anything if you don't start yanking wires:D. Get your modem and a cat 5 cable and try the top port first (directly to the left of the red wire). I say this because the out from the red wire goes to the other plate...so logic would tell me the top plate has to have the connection first.

5. ckphilli

ckphilli

Thing is...I don't see power going to those wall plates (closet) at all...so how would it hand out IP addresses? (thinking out loud)

6. lorded

lorded Thread Starter

Yes they jsut seem to be punched down to those black boxes. I dont see any power going to them either. The gray wire you mention does not go anywhere. It ends with a 6" long Cat 5 cable thats jsut hanging there. Dont know what its there for. Its almost like there was something else in there previously they pulled out and I am left with the cables, some connected, some not.

I might try what you mentioned, running a long cable from my modem to the closet and plugging it in to see if it has an effect. If not I was thinking I would need to get a 12 port switch but then would I have to disconnect all those calbes, terminate then with jack heads then plug them into the switch?

7. ckphilli

ckphilli

Yes you would, but it's probably not necessary. I'd try what you just said. If the port on the plate doesn't work, try the grey cable directly into your modem.

I noticed a "surge" printed on the wall plate. May have power behind where we can't see.

Good luck and keep us posted.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice