1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help in removing Norton Antivirus please....

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sandryly1, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandryly1

sandryly1 Thread Starter

Hello <I have installed AVG and I am not able to remove completly the Norton antivirus some how the systemic is not eraseable, how can I access the cookies file??? Please help

Thank you in advance
    Sandryly

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, To help you we will have to know a bit more. One thing is, exactly what version of Norton programs you have/had... Norton has a removal tool that does work quite well when uninstalling the usual way fails, but the tool comes in flavors, and it depends what year version it is, and whether the Antivirus program was a stand-alone or part of a suite, like Norton Systemworks, Norton Internet Security and so on.

Let's try this to see a list of installed software, that may help pinpoint the answer:

Let's have you post a log from Hijackthis and maybe we can spot anything out of place:
    go to Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
    • Scroll down to find the File Repository area look on the upper right for Download button
    • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
    • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then save the log and then the log will open in Notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Also, please do this:
    Open Hijack This and click on the "Open the Misc Tools section" button. Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button. Click the "Save List" button. After you click the "Save List" button, you will be asked where to save the file. Pick a place to save it then the list should open in notepad. Copy and paste that list in a reply._ _ _ _

3. t@it

[email protected]

goto symantic and use their removal tool, v easy

4. bunns7

bunns7

Thank you very much. Does it matter that Norton Personal Firewall is still on my computer? Should I delete it also?

5. t@it

[email protected]

I dont know how many firewalls you have installed, but unless it is affecting your pc peformance it cant hurt to keep it. ps I carry a copy of the removal tool on my flash drive, very common problem! have a nice day :)

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

7. Support4U

Support4U

Hi Bunns7
    running the removal tool is the simplest thing however it tends to delete what ever software u have for norton on ur computer so in case u run it ur firewall if its norton will get uninstalled too.

8. t@it

[email protected]

didnt know that, hope i havent caused bunns any bother. learn something new every day.

9. new tech guy

new tech guy

10. Byteman

If you people would listen and read the thread....

You'd save yourself a lot of bother!

And, if you post your security, antivirus, and antispyware questions and your Hijackthis logs in our SECURITY Forum

you'd get help a lot easier and sound advice.

11. t@it

[email protected]

mmnnnn.... yes!

12. Support4U

Support4U

hi [email protected],
    in case the product will not get removed from add and remove programs one anyways has to run the removal tool to uninstall all the norton products and then install the onces that are required..so i belive Bunns situation is the same..since the registry entries of all symantec products lie in the same place and if one is removed all other symantec products will show error messages..
    so finally if Bunns has to uninstall he has to run the removal tool and also reinstall the personal firewall if he wishes to use it further ..no other way out

13. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"Byteman": I do not believe you have to be specific about which S/N product you want to remove. With the reference I provided previously, ALL are removed. This was noted by another poster. Here is the "Warning" that appears on the S/N page:

"The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer. Before you continue, make sure that you have the installation CDs or downloaded installation files for any Norton products that you want to reinstall. Also, if you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases and uninstall those products."

{redoak}

14. t@it

[email protected]

yep, thats the way i see it

15. Byteman

My point is only this> lots of newer computer users, install new versions of Norton products, over older ones, for one thing...

(1) My reply included information about possible older versions of Norton products, because there was a difference in the way you did things
    if it was a stand-alone Norton A/V as opposed, to part of for ex., Norton Systemworks suite....and,

(2)There are win9x and win2k/XP etc versions of the Norton Removal Tool....and:

(3) there are Corporate versions that we do see in threads asking about removal.

Don't use it on Vista machines, according to this> it will damage part of Vista....unless you get one of the newest versions of the Removal Tool...

http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2007/07/17/do-not-use-norton-removal-tool-in-vista-system.aspx

Here is a link to the newest version available:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2006050909471013 < both 9x and later version of the NRTool.

Yes, using their removal tool does remove any of the products it is able to, but not older than I think, 2003, and I have run into a few here at TSG using older versions, so I like to SEE (hopefully) the LIST of installed software, again since I learned long ago, not to just ask the poster for that specific type of information, or they look and say they cannot find it...

And yes, the Tool does remove all of the suite type installations, there is no pick and choose....which is why, I like to see exactly what they have,

to ask questions, before just handing out the Removal Tool.

And> the tool does NOT work for Corporate versions, and I have seen several of those in threads, with problems....and they were advised to try the removal tool.

Add/Remove Programs has a good list, of all the various pieces of Norton apps, suites, and often shows the version year. For some, it just says Norton Antivirus, etc.... often, you can can spot and OLD verion along with the 2003 and up in that list!

These are the reasons I always ask for whatever information I can get that I can see...

Here's something that can remove some corporate versions of Norton products: ((Have not tried this at all!))

http://wiki.itc.virginia.edu/twiki/bin/view/ItcUss/RemovalUtilities?raw=on

Akso> there does still exist the older utility that removes older than 2003 versions of the Home user Norton apps. This older removal tool, at least, has a specific order to run, that is, you select the OLDEST version first from a product list that you see when you run the tool... so, you have to be able to tell a poster that, or include some warnings, directions, or at the very least, links to all that....

The newer version of NRT, for 2003 and higher, is easier and very effective, I've used it a few times with good success.

You have to watch out for WinFax and that other part, as was posted already....
    So, in my opinion, it's just the right way to answer questions about "Removing Norton Antivirus" etc, here at TSG, sorry if this offends anyone.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice