Need help installing a screensaver on Windows Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

swtmelissa68

I bought a new computer that is installed with Windows Vista. My problem is, I want to install a screensaver that I found on the internet that I used on my old computer, and I downloaded it to my new computer, but Windows Vista won't let me use it as a screensaver, or it is not listed under the choices of screensavers that you can use. Can anyone help me figure out how to use this personal screensaver?

If I were you I would forget it. I mean there is a compatibility mode but Vista has a way of paying you back for installing something it does not want there that may not be worth the effort.

sorry rich.i have the solution.go into where you change the screen saver,click advanced or properties,there is a box that says"use folder".as long as you know where you downloaded the screensaver to,just follow the path to that file. ie c:/user/my documents/whatever/etc.let me know how you go.sorry if its a bit vague,i dont have laptop at the moment.

I too want to download and install screensavers to Vista. However, the place where you would change/select the screensaver does not have "advanced" or "properties" buttons. I want to know how to add a screensaver to the list of screensavers I currently have listed. Could you please check your directions again, Noodles71? Thanks.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
One needs to find out first if these screensaver are Vista compatible. You may find out that they are NOT and you need to have a new version.

OK.. thanks. Wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but I guess there are no other options. It's a shame that when you buy a bigger and "better?" computer, you have to give up so many things that you really enjoyed with the old one.

I do appreciate your response.

right click desktop > personalise > screen saver > settings.there's a box that needs to be checked(use video and photo's from:) and the browse button is next to it.follow the path to your folder with the screen saver in it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online