1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help installing graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amped103, Jul 10, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Amped103

Amped103 Thread Starter

I'm trying to install an AMD Radeon R7 200 series graphics card into my Dad's computer and the stupid thing just will not work. The computer is a Dell Optiplex 990 i5 running windows 7. I have the exact same computer, with the same 200 series graphics card, and I had no problems getting it installed. But, for some reason, I just can not get this one installed into my Dad's PC. His computer has the latest Bios(I run an older version which i think is better.) and I can't find where to turn off the on board video card. Also, the card has a VGA and DVI-I(I think?)output. Since the VGA output is notorious for not working on these cards, I bought a DVI-I to VGA adapter for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, we're getting quite frustrated with this. If you need more information, just let me know.

Thanks, Mike.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What power supply is in the computer and what exact R7 200 series card did you buy? Also can you describe how it doesn't work or what is happening? Is there any beeping, is it not fitting, is it not showing up in Windows, is it not displaying anything even at BIOS/POST?

3. Amped103

Amped103 Thread Starter

It has an OEM 265 watt power supply, and it's an R7 240 2GB DDR3 low profile. When we put it in and install the driver there is nothing displayed on the monitor and the computer crashes shortly after Windows starts up. We have a second monitor plugged into the onboard video card, that we can't figure out how to turn off in the BIOS.

4. Amped103

Amped103 Thread Starter

Video card isn't showing up in BIOS or in Windows, either. No beeping.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most modern motherboards disable onboard video when you install a real video card.
    This makes me think you still have the monitor connected to the onboard port on the motherboard rather than the actual video card. Are you sure you connected the monitor to the video card and not the onboard port?
    Some card mfg state a minimum pw requirement of 400W others do not state a min pw supply however your 265W is not going to cut it. You need a better quality pw supply.

How to properly install a new video card;
    1 Old card still installed, go the support site for your card and download the latest driver. Do not use a driver from the support CD; that is almost always out of date
    2 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, any "Suite" etc. Do not reboot when prompted; just tell it later
    3 Shutdown and pull out your old card. Install the new card and be sure it is fully seated in the slot. Make any pw connections to the new card [as necessary]
    4 Be sure you connect the monitor to the new card and not the onboard port on the motherboard
    5 Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #1
    6 Reboot when prompted.
    Done

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

You said
    I could be wrong but I don't think the new video card will show up as long as another monitor is plugged into the motherboard graphics port. Have you tried with just one monitor hooked to the new card?

Have you read the manual? There is something in there under system config in the bios called "multi-Display" says it will show up if a card is installed. you can enable it , it comes disabled so I am guessing it will allow both video ports to work.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  7. lynx1021

lynx1021

What AMD Radeon R7 200 series do you have? The lowest on recommends a 350 watt power supply. Yours is max 265 watts unless it has been changed.

8. Amped103

Amped103 Thread Starter

Its an R7 240 2GB DDR3. Yes, we've tried just the one monitor plugged into the new graphics card and it doesn't display anything. I have the same computer, with the same power supply and the same graphics card in my pc and it runs fine. I thought since mine works that it would work in his PC as well. In the BIOS I can't find anything that lets me select what video card to use or to disable the onboard. It doesn't even show up in the BIOS when its plugged in.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Read the 2nd reply in this thread.
    https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/Optiplex-990-PCIe-slots-are-they-2-0/td-p/4762240
    Doesn't mention R7 240 so not sure if it works or not.

Also
    I'd remove the adapter for the moment just to be sure it is not creating a problem.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  10. Amped103

Amped103 Thread Starter

Ok, not sure what i did, but I got something new. I plugged the card in again and nothing came up, but when I switched to the onboard , it said unsupported video configuration and to remove one of the displays. The only display I can remove is the video card(there was only one monitor plugged in at the time, and I switched it from the card to the onboard.) I have also installed a seasonic 600w power supply with no change to anything. It seems like I need to turn off the onboard graphics, but there is nothing in the BIOS to do it. Any ideas?

11. Amped103

Amped103 Thread Starter

It says, "Unsupported video configuration. This system has both an PCI video card in PCI slot 1 and a display port adapter, please remove either the display port monitor or the PCI video card." When I unplug the monitor from the onboard display port and plug it into the video card, I get a black screen. And, now I can't reinstall the driver using AMD's Adrenaline program, because it won't boot to windows with the video card in. I'm really starting to get frustrated with this. I tried to plug the monitor into the video card using the VGA output, the DVI-I output using a DVI-I to VGA adapter, and the HDMI output and I got noothing on all 3. Even tried disabling the intel graphics drive in the control panel and then putting the card back in and that didn't work. I'm going to try to manually install the video card driver from AMD's website if I can find it and see if that works.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's not a driver problem, drivers only matter AFTER Windows boots. If you do not get a display when you turn on the PC that's not a driver issues.

Have you installed the latest BIOS from the Dell website?

13. Amped103

Amped103 Thread Starter

Yes, latest BIOS and drivers from Dell. could it be a bad card?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, it could be. Do you have another computer you could try it in?

15. Amped103

Amped103 Thread Starter

Tried it in another computer today and it didn't work, screen was black on both the card and the onboard. I pulled out an old video card that I haven't used in over a year that I know worked when I upgraded, and I couldn't get that one to work either. It just gave me the same result as the the other card, on both PC's. It's an ATI Radeon X1600 pro 1GB. I'm doing something wrong, I know I am, I just don't what. I'm going to take a break from it for the rest of the weekend and try again in a day or two, I'm getting way too frustrated with it, and myself. Thank you for all of the help and advice, it's greatly appreciated.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice