Need Help installing new external hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maffsae

Hey all,

I posted about a week ago about buying a new external hard drive, and I decided to go with buying a external enclosure and an internal drive to save money. It all worked out well. So now I have to install the drive and I am not completely sure what to do... I am thinking that its simple but I just want to makre sure.

The instructions talk about setting up the drive as a master or a slave and there is another option to move the jumper to a position which is called cable select. I dont know about any of this. Those are instructions for installing an internal drive. The enclosure instructions to set it up as a master, should I do this?

So as I see it, I just put the drive into the enclosure, connecting the necessary wires, and then connect to the computer with the USB 2 wire? DO i need to go through the installation process with the disk that comes with the drive? Do I need to partition anything or rename drive or anything like that?

I just want to install the external drive for file storage, that I can disconnect and move from computer to computer.

I think thats all. If you need any more info please ask. Thanks for your help.

Just set the drive to MASTER, and if you're using Windows XP, use Disk Management to format the drive.

maffsae

ok i installed it, but it only says that it has a capacity of 31.4 GB... itys a 200GB drive.

any suggestions?

What file system did you put on the drive?
In Disk Management does it show the rest of the drive as unallocated space?
Some drives have a jumper that limits their size.

maffsae

I dont know what file system I put on the drive. I followed the Discwizard for windows and all it asked me to do was partition and format the drive. i thnk it said 1 partition.

I am not sure what a jumper is... there was that black piece that i had to move to the first set of pins to make it the master drive. i don tknow if thats what you are talking about.

I am reading that you need certain requirements to get the full capacity of the drive. but the computer is only a few months old. I am running windows xp with service pack 2.

am i supposed to change something in the BIOS?

maffsae said:
I dont know what file system I put on the drive. I followed the Discwizard for windows and all it asked me to do was partition and format the drive. i thnk it said 1 partition.

I am not sure what a jumper is... there was that black piece that i had to move to the first set of pins to make it the master drive. i don tknow if thats what you are talking about.

I am reading that you need certain requirements to get the full capacity of the drive. but the computer is only a few months old. I am running windows xp with service pack 2.

am i supposed to change something in the BIOS?
Look elsewhere on the drive for the Capacity Limitation Jumper. Sometimes it's seperate from the MASTER/SLAVE/CABLE SELECT jumpers.

maffsae

the files system is NFTS

i looked on the drive and i do not see any other jumpers (if a little piece of plastic is a jumper)

any other things i should do?

Just to explain a couple of things, WinXP likes NTFS, so if you use it to format a drive and choose the FAT32 file system it will limit the size of the partition. Since you used NTFS we can eliminate that as a problem.

Your computer is new and drive size shouldn't be a problem. You are correct about what the jumpers are just make sure there isn't a jumper that limits the drive size.

Look in Disk Management. What does it say about the drive?

maffsae

drive is seagate 200 gb upgrade kit internal hard drive ultra ata/100 7200 rpm 8 mb cache 3.5 inch drive
enclosure is nexstar 2 external 3.5" hard drive enclosure ide to usb 2.0

Jumper pins 7 and 8, the ones furthest away from the molex connector, install it and run Disk Management again.

maffsae

i am going to have to go to bed because i need to get up in 5 hours for work. thanks to everyone who has tried to help so far. if anyone can keep trying, i will check this thread in the morning.

i dont know what other info to give.... my computer is a dell 8400 just bought it in june. i have this program on here called intel application accelorator which i read somewhere where this might have something to do with drives using their full capacity? when i ran it i didn't see my new drive in there, and couldn't figure out how to add it or if i should.

the exisitng hard drive on the computer is 250 gb... processor is 3 ghz intel pent 4 1 gb of ram

i don tknow if any of that helps, but i cant think of anything else. i didn't see any other jumpers, but i didn't know where else to look besides teh pins. i do have the jumper in the area where teh instructions said to put it for the master drive.

thanks again for the help. hopefully i will be able to solve teh problem tomorrow with your help.

I have a feeling you're looking at the drive upsidedown. Try the jumpers on the opposite side of the molex connector. Pins 1 and 2 set the 32 GB capacity limitation, pins 7 and 8 set the drive as master seeing the full capacity. At least according to Seagate.

maffsae

ok prunejuice i will try that when i get home. i am pretty sure that i put the jumper exactly where the instructions said to (because i treied to be very careful when i did it) but theres always that chance that i screwed it up. thanks for your help, i will update later.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online