1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help mapping a network drive

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by draser, Mar 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. draser

draser Thread Starter

Hi,

I need help mapping a network drive. I am using Win98 to map a share on a NT server. I am able to map it once I enter in the password. However, I don't want to have to enter in the password everytime I reboot my computer just to map to the share. Does Win98 have a script that I can use to map the share and enter the password automatically? Thanks for the info.

2. jmatt

jmatt

3. draser

draser Thread Starter

Hmm, that doesn't tell me anything.

4. flash52

flash52

Are you logging onto the same NT Domain on which the share resides?

5. draser

draser Thread Starter

The server that the share resides on is part of a 3 server NT workgroup. I'm on 98 and can manually map the network drive once I log into Windows, but I would like it to be automated without me having to do anything besides just booting up into Windows.

6. mole

mole

What you are asking for is a logon script. Place a shortcut to a batch file in your Win98 PCs startup folder. This isn't a logon script, but it will do.

The batch file should look like this:

net use x: /d
    net use x: \\servername\sharename
    exit

Where x is the drive letter you want to map and server name and share name are as they are set up on the server(s). It is possible to include a password with the "net" command, but it is not secure because it appears in the plain text batch file.

For more info on "net" open a DOS prompt and type "net /?" (leave the quotes out though, I included them for clarity).

Let us know if the problem is solved.

mole

7. flash52

flash52

If you are logging onto the NT Domain and mapping the drive through Windows Explorer/Network Neighborhood, there should be a "reconnect at logon" check box so you dont have to remap everytime you join the Domain.

8. draser

draser Thread Starter

Hey, thanks guys... I appreciate the help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/40641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice