Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help. Might lose data

751 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hi
So I needed up pretty bad
I wanted to install Ubuntu on a bootable drive and for that i made a bootable USB with Ubuntu installation disk on it. I booted from the usb and reached the installation screen. There were 3 options
1. Erase the drive and lose my data and install
2. Keep the data and install
3. Selective by me
I clicked on the first option thinking that it'll only erase the usb stick. Turns out it showed me the drives that would be formatted before proceeding and it included my primary hdd. So I didn't proceed and went back. But when I reached here it wouldn't show me the second option anymore. So I clicked the 3rd and installed it on a separate drive. But now I can't boot into Windows anymore. Infact it doesn't even show me my hdd as a bootable drive. Please help me.

#2 ·
TechSupportGuy > Bios won't load
bassfisher6522
2018, October 14 at 6:11 PM

This is the fundamental mistake when trying to setup a dual boot with windows, where windows is the primary OS. This is a beginners/novice mistake that happens all the time. Once the dual boot is setup the GRUB overrides (gets installed on the C drive) the MBR and since you manually set the GRUB as default, you may have lost your windows installation all together. You may need to do a clean install of windows.

I would remove the HDD that the Linux distro is on and try booting up into windows. If that fails, you'll need to run a linux live CD/USB and follow this link: http://linuxbsdos.com/2015/09/05/how-to-delete-grub-files-from-a-boot-efi-partition-in-windows-10/
This should remove the GRUB and get your windows up and running.

What happens with a dual boot setup is that the GRUB is installed on the C drive by default and this is where all the issues arise from for most beginners. What you should really do is, is a multi boot setup. Where each OS is installed on a separate drive, while any other drives in the system are unplugged (SATA/DATA cables removed). Then when the 2nd OS is installed and verified that it's working, shut down and reattach cables for the rest of the drives. Your C drive will boot automatically, by default. To boot to the 2nd OS restart and tap the F12 key at post beep. This by passes the the BIOS and takes you striaght into the boot menu. Select the drive you want to boot from and hit enter. It's a much better way to have multiple OS's installed. No chance of MBR and GRUB being intertwined on the same drive.

#3 ·
You have multiple hard drives and installed Ubuntu on a different drive from Windows? And now you can boot into Ubuntu but there is no option to boot into Windows? If 'yes' to both questions search for "Grub2 config." One, or more of the first "hits" should explain how to create a dual boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.