1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help migrating hard drive to HP laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rockinmom, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rockinmom

rockinmom Thread Starter

I have 2 laptops:
    HP dv9815nr- hard drive died a year ago
    Dell Inspiron E1705- currently running Vista Home Premium

I would like to move the hard drive from my Dell to my Vista. I've checked, they're both 2.5" SATA. I have tried just plugging the hard drive in but am getting BSOD 0x0000007B (0x80599BB0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I know it should be as simple as reinstalling/repair resinstalling from the CD however neither laptop's optical drives work. I downloaded the Vista ISO file (from a trusted source) since Microsoft no longer offers a download directly from their site. I do have a legitimate serial.

I have a 150GB external hard drive I can use for an installation. I'm not sure what to do from here. I leave in a couple of days to fly my daughter out of state for visitation and really need my HP laptop for work.

Please, someone help me and I'll be forever grateful!

2. user22

user22 Banned

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

The operating system will need to be reinstalled on new hardware unless you make it suitable for movement. But if the versions came with the PC's, they cannot legally be moved to different machines. They were low-cost because they are altered versions licensed to the laptop manufacturers. They won't work at all, possibly, or they won't activate.

The OS can be moved if retail versions that you yourself installed, but still would need to be treated so they would work on new hardware. If you have a retail version on the Dell, you can transfer it. Otherwise, you will need to install the version that came with the HP or buy a new copy of Windows.

Programs are available to transfer retail versions. What these programs do, basically, is to strip the installation's registry of machine-specific drivers, scan the new machine for hardware, and then "install" the needed drivers into the OS before you even try to boot it up. (Just a note: Many people seem to get stuck on the same step in using these programs. It is when it asks for the location of drivers. There is almost never any need to specify that and it can be left blank. What they are asking for is drivers that are not contained in Windows already and Windows has all the drivers needed to get the machine booted in 99% of cases.)

Here is an example:

Paragon Adaptive Restore.

The Paragon Hard Drive Manager also has a "P2P Adjust" program on it that will make any drive attached to a machine (with an OS on it, obviously) bootable on that machine.

Their free tools may be all you will need ("free" but you will need to sign up and maybe get a little junk mail, but a small price, really):

Paragon Adaptive Imaging Tools

or, an evaluation version may have full functionality, too:

Paragon Adaptive Restore Evaluation

Acronis also has Universal Restore, but they don't have anything free and you'd need to buy that as an add-on to another imaging program that you had already purchased. But I have used it as well and it works perfectly.

============================================

You will need your product key. It is hashed and not readable on the machine. The number in Computer properties is not it.

ProduKey
    Windows Product Key Viewer

============================================

Since you failed to mention what that "trusted source" is, it most likely is an illegal site. There are no downloadable versions of Windows operating systems, even from Microsoft, except under the rarest of circumstances. I don't know what would lead you to believe that there once was such a place at Microsoft.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    The only places i know where you can download any windows operating system in an ISO format that are from trusted vendors arent free. You have to pay for them.And its done as a download so they dont have to send you an actual cd/dvd which would cost more.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

That sounds about right. The MVP's can download them free (people with MSDN and Technet subscriptions, which surely are not cheap).

6. rockinmom

rockinmom Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I got the ISO from my cousin who is a tech out of state. He told me it was the full retail version. I trust him hence the "trusted source". I have the full product key that was on the Microsoft sticker on the bottom of my computer when I purchased it. Trust me, I'm not trying to pirate an OS otherwise I'd go for Windows 7 lol. I just want to be able to use the laptop I paid $900 for that had a hard drive failure after 13 months of use (I'll never buy a HP again). I burned the ISO to a DVD to install over XP on this laptop (the Dell) to verify it would work- which it did.

Thank you Elvandil, I will try one of those programs to see if it will work. I know I'm just missing something... before I installed Vista on this hard drive I was able to boot it in safe mode on the HP. Now with Vista, I can't even get that far and it still gives me the BSOD when attempting safe mode.

I'll let you guys know if it works. Thanks again.

7. rockinmom

rockinmom Thread Starter

I have downloaded from Microsoft before. It has to be their current OS though and at this time they only support downloading for Windows 7. I confirmed this with a tech at Microsoft since I tried there first asking for help.

8. rockinmom

rockinmom Thread Starter

Ok for anyone else who is having this issue I paid for advice from <url removed>. Here is what the "expert" told me. I followed his advice and it worked perfectly. I knew there had to be a way to do what I needed to do.

"Hello. <reference to site removed>

Do you have the product key of the Vista install on the Dell ? (should be a sticker on the Dell machine)?

If so, what you can do is a Sysprep which will uninstall all the drivers and then allow Vista to rebuild the driver set when you put it in your HP.

BE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE WINDOWS LIVE ESSENTIALS OR ANY VIRTUAL DVD DRIVE (i.e. DAEMON TOOLS OR ALCOHOL 120%) INSTALLED OR THIS WILL NOT WORK!!!

Put the hard drive back into the Dell and boot it up.

After it gets to Windows, go to Start and in the search bar in the lower left, type in C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep and press enter.

Select Enter System Out Of The Box Experience (OOBE) and then check Generalize.

In the Shutdown Options (very important), select Shut Down.

Then click OK.

Allow the process to complete. Do not do anything until the Dell completely shuts down.

After it is shut down DO NOT POWER IT ON.

Remove the hard drive from the Dell and insert it into the HP.

Power on the HP and allow Windows to "setup for the first time".

After this is complete, you will be prompted for a user name. Just use "user" or "owner" for now. When prompted input the Product Key from the Dell sticker.

After you complete the initial process log in with your old user from the Dell. Then go to Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> and delete the "user" or "owner" account you just created.

From here, you will be good to go"

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

How did a Dell OEM product key work on a retail version of Windows?

Well, there is the downloadable version of 7 for USB keys, so I guess there are exceptions.

Please post link to one of these downloads.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice