1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NEED HELP! My portable hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alnguyen84, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alnguyen84

alnguyen84 Thread Starter

I have a portable hard drive (I/O Magic)
    80 gigs

I love it, it's small.
    And I can take it around with me.
    I use it very often.

However, I was using it on my laptop today and I accidentally let it drop onto the carpet. The fall was only about 1 1/2 feet tops but it obviously did something negative. So, my problem is that it doesn't load up anymore when I hook the USB into my laptop or desktop. I think a wire got loose inside and that's why the drive isn't spinning. i don't know, I need help! The light still works on the portable harddrive but that's about it. I have a lot of data on this drive that I can't afford to lose!

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you could open the case and make sure the harddrive is connected OK - and all connections firmly fitted
    or you may have damaged the harddrive itself,
    cases are very cheap, so you could buy a new case and try the harddrive in that.

3. alnguyen84

Well, the case is perfectly fine.

I can still connect the usb to my harddrive and it still lights up, so the power is still working.

The problem is that the computer doesn't read anything because the actual drive doesn't spin (I don't hear anything). It obviously gets an electrical signal because the light turns on, but the reading/spinning is nonexistent.

I think dropping it probably caused things to become loose inside, but I'm not too sure. And I don't want to risk losing my files altogether because I don't know what I'm doing.

Do you think I should still open it up and see if the connectors are intact?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes - its a simple circuit board that has a Standard Harddrive (3.5" or 2.5") connected to it. I make quite a few of these ups
    so open it up and make sure the drive is fully connected
    When i suggested getting a new case - this is why

the case usually come with all the electrics, connectors to work a standard hardrive

so you
    1) buy a case (2.5" or 3.5")
    2) buy a standard harddrive (2.5" or 3.5")

then plug the harddrive into the connector and your done

I didnt mean just a plain case....

so replacing the case will change all the USB electrics etc

5. alnguyen84

oh i see... thanks!

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if its a 2.5" case then theres not usually a lot of room for any movement
    however, the drives are not fixed to the case and just plug into a connector

you could take the harddrive out and try it in another device - but that depends on 1) the size of the drive and 2) if you have something else to try it on.

7. alnguyen84

I have to try the harddrive with another case. I opened this one up and the connector seemed to be fully connected with the harddrive. But, hopefully it's because I damaged the case like you said and all I have to do is replace it. I hope you are right.

8. alnguyen84

It is not the connector. I bought a new enclosure and hooked my old harddrive into the new enclosure and it still doesn't work. Once again, the LED still lights up but the harddrive itself is not spinning--which means the computer can not read it. Help!

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you dropped it, and the physical drive doesn't work, there's not much we can do here. A data recovery service MAY be able to recover something, and it will be expensive.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    As johnwill says - harddrive failed - and not much can be done cheaply

11. alnguyen84

about how much would a data retrieval service cost me?

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No way of knowing, but I'd say the chances of recovering data on a physically damaged hard disk are pretty small, and a recovery service that has to open the drive in a clean room will probably be $1,000 and up.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/598888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice