1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help networking 2 computers. Please.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SirTim, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SirTim

SirTim Thread Starter

I have 2 computers and a network hub. I have the CAT5 cables and everything is hooked up and ready to go. What's next???

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

3. SirTim

SirTim Thread Starter

ok pretend you are talking to a computer illiterate person, plz. I've never networked before so none of that makes sense to me.

4. Argy

Argy Banned

on your desktop (the sguare thing that pops up when windows has finished loading :p )
    you'll see an icon named network neighbourhood, double click that and then click on "microsoft network"
    if you can see the name of the other computer beside your computer, then it's already done :S
    if not make sure they are both on the same network.
    right click on the "my computer" icon and go to properties
    click on the "networking" tab and select "network id"
    follow the steps on both computers.

5. Argy

Argy Banned

if some of the names are wrong in that post, i appologise...im used to using windows 2K, not Xp.......personell preference

6. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

You dont even need to assign static IP address when creating a small peer to peer network.

Just connect the computers to the hub and viola! APIPA comes into play automaticly asigning IP address that are on the same subnet!!

just make sure that both computers are on the same work group and the shares have be asgned the permissons to allow the other computer to connect

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not sure where it was mentioned that you need static IP addresses. Not a requirement.

But you do need to make sure that they have the same IP scheme.

8. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

If you connect the computers to the hub and they do not get a response to DORA the OS will asign and automatic IP address. APIPA automatic private IP address, wich is setup so that a small peer to peer network can be established with out a DHCP server, it is not the best way, but if you are not sure on how to asign IP address it will work, most of the time.

This makes me think though, are the computers going to be connected to the internet, and how? If they are you need to ether purchase a router to be able to join both the internet and the LAN together, if not you need to purchase addtional IP addresses from the ISP if you have the modem connected to the uplink port on the hub. You might also want to look into ICS, it works also but is not really that great.

9. Argy

Argy Banned

that problem with that theory is...
    if your running a computer to computer network...your going to want to be accesing things from the other computer, therefore you have no other choice then to make sure they are both using the same networking name

10. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

What theroy? that is the point of APIPA. And for them to share files they will have to be on the same workgrpoup regaurdless.

11. SirTim

SirTim Thread Starter

ok heres what I have set up now. hopefully this paints a good enough picture for you. I have 2 PC's, CAT5 cables, a network hub (router), and a cable modem. the router/hub has 5 ports labeled 1-5. The cable modem is plugged into port 1 and the PC are in ports 4 and 5. They both are able to access the internet through the modem but do not recognize each other as being there, hence I can't get them to talk to one another. That's what I want to remedy. Any ideas?

12. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

If you have a router, one of the ports should bve labled WAN or internet or uplink.

If not all you have is a hub.

what are the IP addresses of the two computers??

if one starts like this 169.254.x.x

And the other is a public IP addres ie: 24.x.x.x

Then you have a hub and need to ether purchase a router, or another IP address from the ISP, and these are not the ideal condistions for sharing files because you will be sharing with the whole world.

If the computer both pull address like this 192.168.x.x then you have a router.

You need the computers to both be on the same workgroup and you need to share files or drivers on each computer and set permisssons accordingly.

So lets see the IP addresses, for windows 2000 -XP click start goto run, in the run box type CMD, press enter. At the comand prompt type ipconfig and your IP address will be displayed.

For 98 and ME click start and goto run, type winipcfg and enter. This will bring up the IP configuration. Select the apporiate adapter from the drop down box and the IP address will be displayed.

13. SirTim

SirTim Thread Starter

ok I was wrong. what I have is a 5 port Ethernet switch. As I recall, thats not a router or network hub. Man this sucks. Now I gotta buy another piece of hardware.

14. SirTim

SirTim Thread Starter

ok wait a sec. both IP addresses start the same way : 206.63.xx.xxx meaning I have a router, accordung to you. so with a router, I should be able to share files between the two PC's, right? If so, how do I do it without making them accessible to the entire world via the Internet?

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It still doesn't necessarily mean you have a router. Your ISP could simply be supplying the IP addresses instead.

Rather than guessing, can you give a manufacturer and model number of whatever the computers are connected to.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/365305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice