1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help, networking question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hydrogenman, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hydrogenman

hydrogenman Thread Starter

I have win xp, I just setup my wife's computer with winxp and we have a cable modem for internet service. I don't have the money atm to buy a hub and network that way, isn't there SOME way I can use my computer as basically a server and connect our computers via usb or ethernet (or something) and share the internet connection that way until I can purchase a hub?

2. Al-Firdaus

Al-Firdaus

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

4. hydrogenman

I don't get the part about the crossover cable....is this just a plain ethernet cable that I connect the two cards with? or is it different?

5. hydrogenman

nm, just saw bob's post....thx bob

6. hydrogenman

let me get it straight...hook up the cable modem via USB and then go NIC to NIC with an ethernet cable and then enable ICS right?

this the setup?

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes. And to connect the two computers directly you would need a crossover cable.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice