1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help on CD-ROM driver(s)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PatsyC, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsyC

PatsyC Thread Starter

Just inherited a 533i emachine which has been through several hands before it came to mine. The CD Rom doesn't exist according to Windows. But if you have a Cd with autorun on it, it works. Otherwise, it doesn't exist when you click on my computer (it is not on that list with floppy on A, Hard drive C, etc.)

Running Win98SE, and all is okay except for the conflict with the cdrom driver when I look at devices. Took the cdrom out and looked at the actual cdrom case to see what cdrom I have. The case says that it is: Samsung CD Master 40E, model SC-140.

However, the driver installed is for a MKEPanasonic CD-ROM Drive. I figured ah ha, someone installed the wrong driver and that is why the cdrom has conflicts and is not recognized. But also have further complications on this.

The Bios seems to recognize it as a OTI-91X Atapi cdrom. don't have a driver for this either.

So, what should I do to clear up all these problems. I would guess that if I got the right driver I could install it. But how do I get to the point where I can find the right driver and make the machine use it?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance for taking the time to think about/work out my problem!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Windows supplies drivers for all internal optical drives, there are no other drivers for Windows.

You may wish to try this: In Windows go to Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> and expand the CD-ROM heading. Remove the CD-ROM's listed there and reboot. Actually it might be good to go into Safe Mode and remove any and all CD-ROM drivers.

Safe Mode: http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

If the drive doesn't reappear go back to Device Manager and go to the properties of the drive. I beleive you should be able to change the drive letter under Properties.

Also check to see if you have something like TweakUI installed, look in the Control Panel or in the Programs list, to see if any drive letters are hidden.

And check the Config.sys file for a Last drive letter option; LASTDRIVE=x and remove it. Go to Start -> Run -> type MSCONFIG and press ENTER.

Lastly, I've seen it where just going to View in My Computer and selecting the Automatically arrange files option causes the drive to appear - go figure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice