1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help on CHoosing RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WaRe, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

Ok my friend is having me order his RAM for his ocmputer he has a custom built computer with a:

AMD 450
    geforce 2 ti 200
    20 gig hd
    Motherboard - VA-503A from FIC (www.fic.com)

Ok my question is which ram that i want to use is compatable with chipsets. I do not know the difffrence just need help in making sure what i might buy is compatable.

This is my choice but need some one to look at its compatability.

http://www.buyaib.com/51pcsdramdim2.html

If not can some one point me in a direction to a website for either 256 MEG RAM that would work or 512.

PS: The RAM for this motherboard (VA-503A) Has to be PC100 and can go up to 720 or something. I am looking at 512's and 256's but mainly trying to keep in a price that is cheap.

For 256 pc100 - Range from 30-45$
    For 512 pc100 - Range from 30-70$

So if some can make sure that link is compatblie with the ram i need and or help me find some that is cheap and works it is apprecaitve.

Thanks
    Dennis

2. brianF

brianF

3. deuce

deuce

Looks fine to me. I couldn't find your mobo from that link, but it should work with your board. Generally, all PC-100 SDRam will work with any chipset that uses PC-100... except in Compaqs... they're just bizzare. :rolleyes: So you shouldn't have a problem being your board takes it. I would definately suggest getting that 512 off that website. That is a very good price. 128 is $30-40, 256 $60-70... 512 is normally over $100, so for $75 you are getting twice what you wold normally be getting.

4. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

BrianF i am just wondering but would that RAM work? the 512?

If not i will order that from crucial but if i can get 512 at that low of cost that would work out nice but then again they say you get what you pay for (rofl) but let me know if possible. :)

Thanks again
    Dennis

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

According to my manual, that motherboard will only recognize 256 meg dimms. Also make sure you get the unbuffered non-ecc ram. That board does not support ecc and requires unbuffered ram.

6. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

Thanks guys/gals. I got just one more question.

Is there a big differnce between non ecc and ecc. All i heard it does is fix some problems in the ram with the software if the problem occurs in the ram or something..

Thanks Again
    Dennis

7. rugrat

rugrat

The following is from www.crucial.com They recommend both types for your board depending on what you are doing with the computer.
    What is the difference between ECC and non-parity memory?

Description:

What is the difference between ECC and non-parity memory? Is there a performance difference?

Solution:

If you already have a PC and are unsure which type you have, count the number of small, black, IC chips mounted on one of your existing DIMMs. If the number of chips is evenly divisible by three or five, then you need ECC. If the number of chips is NOT evenly divisible by three or five, you have non-parity memory.

If you are building a PC and deciding which type to use, the following guidelines should help. If you plan to use your system as a server or a similar mission critical type machine, it is to your advantage to use ECC. If you plan to use your PC for regular home, office, or gaming applications, you are better off with non-parity.

ECC (error correcting code) memory performs "double bit detection and single bit correction." This means that if you have a single bit memory error, the chipset and memory will find and repair the error on the fly without you knowing that it happened. If you have a double bit memory error, it will detect and report it. Using ECC decreases your PC's performance by about 2%. Current technology DRAM is very stable and memory errors are rare, so unless you have a need for ECC, you are better served with non-parity SDRAM.

Hope it helps

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice