1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help on IDE Contols, Jumpers, cables & DVD drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cuttlefish, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    OK, I am lost! I bought a new DVD burner, plugged it in, connected the dat cable and now nothing works! Being a born fiddledr, I have been playing about with cables, jumpers and have now lost the plot completely.
    Here is my hardware setup:

C Drive containing XP Pro OS
    D Drive being a backup only for docs etc.
    E Drive my old and trusty DVD burner
    F Drive my new DVD burner

What do I set the jumpers to on the two DVD drives? I really don't care which is E or F
    What should the BIOS be set to in terms of the DVD's
    Do I have to start pulling data cables out and connecting them to the DVD's in a different order

What intrigues me is that I thought just sticking the new burner in would be a simple task! Guess I have made it doubly difficult somehow!

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

There are two ways you can set up the drives. I would jumper the old drive E as Master and the new drive F as slave.

If you have 40 pin 80 conductor IDE cables you could jumper both drives as Cable Select (CS) and the drive at the end of the cable automatically becomes the Master and the next drive inline becomes the Slave.

If you have 40 pin 40 conductor cables then you need to jumper the drive at the end of the IDE cable as Master and the next drive inline as Slave.

Master and Slave settings will work for either the 40 pin 80 conductor IDE cable or the 40 pin 40 conductor IDE cable.

3. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Yer a legend win2kpro, fixed the problem instantly - many thanks!
    Where do I send the cheque? :)

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You're very welcome. Just click on the red triange in the dialogue box and mark this problem solved.

Have a great day. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/550333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice