1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help on undervolting my Pentium 4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GetDown, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GetDown

GetDown Thread Starter

I've been having some trouble undervolting my Pentium 4. It currently runs at 50-55C idle and I've also discovered that the voltage on it is 2.2v while the specs for it state that it should be at around 1.5v. The main reason I believe as to why I can't adjust the voltage is because of my motherboard. I use an ASUS PTGD1-LA and I don't see anything in the BIOS to allow me to change the voltage.

Is there anyway to change the voltage? Please help me as I don't want to shell out my $$ for a more powerful fan and heatsink :(.

2. GetDown

GetDown Thread Starter

Bump. Sorry if bumping is disallowed but I desperately need some help.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the exact model of the processor that you have?

Download CPU-Z from here: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    And post a screenshot of the CPU and teh Mainboard tab with all the information it shows.

4. GetDown

GetDown Thread Starter

According to CPU-Z, I use a Pentium 4 520.

Also, here is the screenshot of the CPU and Mainboard tab.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you been in the BIOS? There should be a CPU voltage setting there. You'd have to download the manual from the Asus site for the correct board, which it doesnt list in CPU-Z. Is the system a brand name like a Dell?

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

The board you have is a HP/Compaq proprietary board so will will not be able to adjust the vCore voltage in BIOS.

First of all, are you reading the 2.2v vCore voltage in BIOS? If so, it sounds like either the BIOS is not identifying the processor correctly, or the board voltage regulator is defective. I would first try flashing the BIOS to the latest update available at HP/Compaq, and if that doesn't solve the voltage problem, you can look for a very short life for a processor that should be running at 1.4v but is running at 2.2v.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am really surprised it is still running [if indeed the vcore is 2.2V]

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

If vCore was actually 2.2v I believe he would have already blown the processor.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am sure you are correct. A 57% increase in vcore :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    That is what I call an overclock :D

10. GetDown

GetDown Thread Starter

Maybe it isn't 2.2v because I've run this computer for a couple of years. Is it possible for the reading to be wrong though? I checked with both CPU-Z and HWMonitor though :confused:.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, the sensor could very well be reading or reporting a wrong voltage.

Have you checked the HP website for a BIOS update, sometimes such issues are addressed by an update. Sometimes fan speeds are also updated to improve thermal management.

12. GetDown

GetDown Thread Starter

Yea I updated the bios to its latest version already before I started this thread. Lets just hope that my processor voltage reading is wrong. Would buying a new fan to replace the stock one work though?

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

The thermal specs for the P4 520 is 67.7C. 50-55C in a HP/Compaq chassis is not excessive since in my opinion these chassis have very mediocre thermal design.

You might give this cooler a try if it will fit on your board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

I feel 99% sure that the processor would have failed if the vCore voltage was actually 2.2v

Also, you may be able to help cooling if your chassis has a front fan mount that is not being utilized, just by adding a front intake fan.

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

After thinking about it for a bit, I seem to recall that HP/Compaq MAY use a proprietary method of mounting the socket 775 cooler to the motherboard.

The first thing you should investigate is how the cooler is attached to the board, so that if you purchase a aftermarket cooler you can get one that will mount correctly to your board.

15. GetDown

GetDown Thread Starter

Alright then. I'm thinking about buying that cooler. Thanks for all the help guys.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice