1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help, Optical Drives Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by adsmith82, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adsmith82

adsmith82 Thread Starter

I just put together a system and installed Vista. After a few days of using it, the DVD writer stopped working. Also, Daemon Tools does not work. In "My Computer", no optical drives even show up. In Device Manager, both the physical DVD writer and the virtual dvd drive show up under DVD/CD-ROM drives, but both have an exclamation mark next to them. Under the device manager properties for both drives, it says:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. Code 39.

I click the driver tab, "Driver Details", and it only shows C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\cdrom.sys. I tried replacing the file from someone else's Vista machine, but it still doesn't work.

What could be wrong? Thanks for reading and replying.

2. erawhacim

erawhacim

Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    4. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    5. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    6. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!