1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help overclocking my cpu!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ggMalkavian, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ggMalkavian

ggMalkavian Thread Starter

Ok... heres my entire computer : It's a P4 3.2 (Socket 775), memory of 1024 (2 512 (3200) in dual channel), a Chaintech 6600GT, WD SATA Hard drive (200Go) and a mobo V915P. My video card is already overclocked (core from 500MHz to 550MHz and memory 1000GHz to 1100GHz) and I don't get any artifact BTW. Now I'd like to overclock my cpu but I don't really know how to do it and if I should do it (is it too risky...? is it worth it...?). My cpu temperature is about 60 celcius ; is it to hot already? Let me know what you think!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

60C under a load or idle? I have a P4 2.4 I'm on now running at 43C. I would assume the 3.2s could run hotter. I also have a 2.8 that gets around 50C, but I don't like it much over that. I just bought two case fans I'll be installing next week.

3. Alan18

Alan18

A quick question, how do you find out the temperature of your compueter?

Alan

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

There are dozens of progrmas and most motherbaords come with one. Check your motherboard CD. If not go to google and look up Speedfan or MBM5 - both are free for download.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Most of the newer bios setups show a motherboard and cpu temp as well.

6. Alan18

Alan18

The SpeedFan, I am a begginer so, if it were to chnage anything (Will it?) would it be easy to set it back?

Thanks,
    Alan

7. marioh

marioh

I wouldn't recommend overclocking your CPU until you do some research, and understand the risks associated with OC'ing (such as possible decreased CPU life and/or permanent CPU damage).

That being said....Most overclocking is done via the BIOS of the motherboard you're using. Some motherboards allow oc'ing via the BIOS, others have jumpers on the board itself which control the FSB speed. Some motherboards have no capability to overclock. Find the motherboards' website or a forum that caters to those types of motherboards to see if there are any issues with oc'ing that particular board and if it can even be overclocked in the first place. Just because a particular motherboard allows overclocking, doesn't necessarily mean it's good at it. Some chipsets also handle overclocking better than others.

60C is a little bit high for the P4, especially if that's not under load. I'm currently running a P4 3.0e @ 3.22, and I only hit 60c under heavy load. The P4's tend to run hot, but I would start to worry a little if you start hitting 70C+.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice