1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help picking a router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brakes-on, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brakes-on

brakes-on Thread Starter

I have a

macbook pro uni 2.66
    compal
    gigabyte x48 DQ6 motherboard, Home Built Computer
    apple 3GS iphone
    PS3

I believe all have N compatible network specs
    the compal has a switch for the 2.4 -5

and the gigabyte X48 DQ6 MB should also I believe ! the rest for sure is N

I got rid of verizon basic DSL and got roadrunner cable for the same price for a year with better speed so now I'm looking to get a router and was interested in the Linksys WRT610N

I was thinking about buying it but I'm not sure if this is the router for me, I keep the PS3 next to the Home built Gigabyte X48 DQ6 both are wired then I have the 2 laptops in other rooms and of course the iphone which isn't a big deal

One more thing to mention is these devices are running in other rooms at the same time because we don't stay in the same room using the internet so I need speed for a notebook in 1 room and at the same time I also need a speed for either the PS3 and computer in the other room going at the same time

So now what would be and great router for this set-up ?

Thanks In Advance !

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nothing wrong with the router you've picked, there are lots of good choices for 802.11n routers nowadays.

3. brakes-on

brakes-on Thread Starter

what i'm trying to ask is with the devices I have do I need anything other then N in my wireless network ?

should I go simultaneous 2.4 - 5

can wireless N work just as strong on all computers and PS3 running at the same time or is it better running a simultaneous router, I'm trying to get as much speed out of my ISP at the same time without slowdowns because I watch movies sometimes over the net

so simultaneous 2.4 - 5 or N+ or whatever ?

Right now I'm using a linksys WRT54G-TM with the lastest DD-WRT firmware

Thanks and I appreciate all that reply on this

4. JohnWill

First off, any time you share a wireless channel with more than one device, the individual connections will be slower. All the devices share the bandwidth on a contention basis.

Truthfully, for other than file sharing, you won't see any difference between your current router and an 802.11n router. 802.11g is plenty fast for full bandwidth ISP connections.

I have 20/5 Verizon FiOS, and my 802.11g laptops will benchmark at full bandwidth on that connection.

5. brakes-on

brakes-on Thread Starter

OK; but I'd like one more last word so I know where on the same page, I just upgraded from verizon to roadrunner cable and with this router and RR I doubled my speed on my iphone from 712 download 127 up > to 1418 down 200 upload thats twice the speed from verizon on RR and I did this test with speedtest.net on the iphone 3GS,

Now on my main PC I did a speedtest from somewhere but I forgot where I did it and it showed my connection was slow and the results said it had a lag compared to this speed test so I was assuming it was the router, it showed that it was being held back, I Believe

I'm not saying your wrong especially with your 93,000 + post GOD NO but I have to ask ! and make sure where on the same page

I really appreciate your help here and please don't get me wrong I just like asking and confirming all,

I really don't like asking but is there a test that I can run to make sure I won't get more out of the modem ?

also I must say the PS3 picked up another bar after switching to RR and that is a wired connection form the router

what bothers me is they make 2.4 and 5. whatever for what if you can't draw more out of these bands :confused:

Please don't get offended by my questions thats what i have to do to get up to speed on this
    THANKS AGAIN

6. JohnWill

From the previous post, I have no idea what you were testing or what ISP was in use, so I can't comment on the validity of the test or the results.

You are talking about an iPhone on a cellular network and a cable ISP, also going to different speed test sites. There are so many variables there I can't even begin to suggest where to start looking. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/864556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice