1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help please - hijack included

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by wishbear21, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wishbear21

wishbear21 Thread Starter

I'm not even sure if this is a security question, but since my mother insists on opening forwarded emails, it's #1 on my list. I'm working with Windows XP w/Internet explorer.

Here's the problem: My dial-up ISP has been running super slow recently. It is close call america (it's a small company), and I connect through a software program we installed with a CD they sent us. This was maybe 3 years ago, and we haven't had any problems.

I went into the network settings to change the phone # we were using to connect. It then dialed the number, not going through the software. It came back with an error message, and I was not surprised.

But now, when I double-click the software icon to open the software to start the dialing, the little box comes up (like the icon/ad box NetZero uses but with no ad), the little box that usually says "dialing" flashes up (doesn't start dialing), then disappears, and the entire application shuts down.

I've restarted the computer, I've checked my username and password. I tried reinstalling the CD software but I get a runtime error. I tried setting up a new connection and doing it without the software, but it gives me some sort of "the server doesn't recognise you" error. I've tried calling their tech support, but they're obviously people off the street just reading off of info packets (she didn't know what an IP is...uhhh).

I definately think it's a problem with the computer, because I'm using that connection right now on my laptop and its working just fine (the software wasn't compatible with this computer so I made a network connection for it 3 years ago). I wrote down every single configuration on this computer, changed the settings on the other computer, and it STILL won't let me on.

I've run a virus scan, it came back fine. I ran ad-aware also. I have spybot and spyware blaster, but haven't run them yet because I can't get on the internet over there to get the updates. I have done everything I can think of to try to fix the thing aside from kicking it.

So here's my hijack log, hopefully there's something on here that's bad and easily fixed, or one of you knows what might be wrong with the computer. Sorry if it's not the most updated version of hijack, but as I said, I can't get the comp on the internet and I don't have the patience to d/l it on here and transfer it over.

I was also wondering, if you guys don't know what's wrong, is Best Buy's Geek Squad any good? This is like the 15th time in 3 years her computer has crashed and I'm just so sick of trying to fix it myself for hours at a time.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 4:44:55 PM, on 7/21/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashAvast.exe
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.closecall.net/index-ie.html
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SsAAD.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe /R
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Startup: CloseCall America Setup Wizard.lnk = C:\Program Files\Internet\setupwd.exe
    O4 - Startup: PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B} - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqcpc/downloads/sysinfo.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1123643341484
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1123643263187
    O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqcpc/downloads/msxml4.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
    O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
    O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
    O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice