Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Help Please

Solved 
940 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  colinsp 
#1 ·
I would sincerely appreciate any help or advice that anyone can offer me!

My family and I recently suffered a devastating tragedy when we lost my dad after a horrible accident. He fell off a 12ft. ladder and unfortunately didn't make it. This was completely unexpected and none of us were anywhere near prepared for something like this to happen. That being said, my dad left us with a lot of things we have to now figure out how to deal with and take care of. My family and I have a very successful home based business that provides us with most of our income. My dad took care of many things regarding the business by himself. For reasons unknown, he never took the time to teach us how to do or take care of certain things. Now that he is gone, my mom and I are left with the issue of trying to figure all the things out so they can be taken care of and the business, along with our lives, can get back to running smoothly like before. My main problem right now that I need immediate help with is our website for the business. My dad always did everything to do with the website. I am 26yrs old and pretty good with computers and many computer programs. I am also a pretty quick learner. But at the moment I'm really struggling with trying to figure this stuff out with the website. Our business website had also been set up with individual email accounts for each of us as well. Those email accounts are one of the main communication methods we have for the business. Last week we noticed that when we tried to go access our email, a message appeared when we typed in the URL. The message read: "Hmm. We're having trouble finding that site. We cannot connect to the server." Same message appeared when I typed the URL for our business website. So I have come to the conclusion that my dad must have been paying monthly or something for Web Hosting, and since he is now gone, it hasn't been payed for and therefore is not live or connected. I know almost nothing about Web Hosting and website publishing or developing. If I knew the name of the Web Hosting company or site, I would imagine I could contact them and pay to get it all up and running again. I cant find anything in my dad's things that would tell me the name of the company or site. So please, I would sincerely appreciate anyone that could help me and inform me if there is anyway I can figure out the hosting to a site that is no longer live. Any advice about anything else that could possibly help me along in this frustrating process would also be greatly appreciated. If I don't get our website and email back up and running, our business will start doing very bad and like I mentioned before, our business is our main source of income. Thanks for taking the time to read!

-Lauren

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Firstly, please accept our condolences on your loss ...
Your domain name was registered by networksolutions.com. You can contact them via numbers in the US at this page
I would also look at Bank Statements (Business/Personal) for any payments to them. It is not normal to host month by month. It may well be coincidence, but hosting seems to have expired at this time, whereas the domain name itself expires on 2020-01-15.
I looked at website archives and found this from August this year - so expiration is very recent:)
Good luck;)
P.S.
Did your father have a computer he regularly used? It will be worth your while looking for a networksolutions.com bookmark on his browser of choice, as it may well have saved login details which would give you access to the account and restore control of the website to you ...

#5 ·
Thank you so very much for your help! I was able to contact them and pay to get it renewed. I really didn't know if it was payed month to month or not, I was just assuming. I found out my dad was paying for 2 years at a time. So now that I have the website back up and running, I need to make a lot of changes and add stuff to it. I don't know the first thing when it comes to website designing or updating or whatever. So my question now would be, how do I go about doing that and where do I get started? Or should I just go ahead and list a new thread with my question?

#6 ·
To do a good job and to promote your business the editing and updating of the website is something that needs to be done carefully and accurately.

Unfortunately, there are several errors in the code on your website that need to be corrected as well as the updates that you want.

I would suggest that you find someone locally who can help you to correct and maintain the site, it is not really a simple job that can be done with questions on a site such as this. It doesn't have to be a company it could be an individual or even a student at a local college or school. The site is written using 20th century methodology and websites have moved on since then and the site and your business would benefit from a makeover imho.

Sorry if this comes over a bit harsh given your recent loss BUT I do have your best future interests in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.